Replace stock stabilizers with scissor jacks?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Mama Llama, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Mama Llama

Mama Llama Member

Has anyone successfully modified scissor jacks from Harbor (or similar) Freight in order to attach them to the pup frame to use as stabilizers/levelers? How did you attach them?

Joe (41) & Robin (39)
    with 3 kids in various stages of parental torment (18, 15 & 8 )
    and the dog... Grayse the weimaraner. Official couch-holder-downer (with her blankie, of course) ;)

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Why attach them ?? They'll work just as good ...

3. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I can see how attaching them someone might want to....cause as you move around inside the PUP...it slightly slides back and forth....front to back and I can see how one of the scissor jacks might just come off during that back and forth minor movement.....whereas if the scissor jack was connected to the PUP underside...it wouldn't fall off, just hang there and you'd simply have to lower it a tad to relevel.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

It would help if you would put the make, model and year of your camper in your signature

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

you may not have to attach them but you can run a bolt through them to keep it connected while they are being used.

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

I used scissor jacks on a camper that I had a long time ago. I didn't attach them because I was concerned that it would be difficult to keep the small diameter threads clean and the hinges rust-free. I was tempted to use the jacks to level the trailer, but the frame was not made for that and it caused doors and windows to bind and not work properly.

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I suppose the issue with using the "stabilizer" jacks to level the camper is that it's putting added stress on members that were not designed to hold weight in that manner. perhaps bending the steel frame a bit too?
    Also....noticed that most of these pups are designed with a "C-type" steel channel bout 1/8" thick to keep the weight down. Probably done that way so's you could run cabling, wire, piping within the inner channel cavity of the C-shaped member. if it were a tube framed structure, it'd be sturdier but then you couldn't use the inside of the tube because it'd be enclosed. And if you use a thicker metal channel, say a 3/16" or 1/4" thick metal wall...then it'd weigh too much.

8. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

i guess they are stabilizer for exactly that purpose. if the were used as jacks you might put a hole thru the floor

9. Mama Llama

Mama Llama Member

It's either a 2000 or 2001 Coleman Fleetwood Taos... Waiting on MIL to find the title and verify. ;)

The reason I'm asking is the plates on the bottom of the stock stabilizers are not flat, rather the corners are almost bent up so it's slightly bowl shaped. If we were going to replace them, I was trying to figure out what would make the most sense. Scissor jacks seem to be the most logical as you can fine tune the height of them, whereas with the stock stabilizers, you're stuck with "the nearest hole".

Joe (41) & Robin (39)
    and the dog... Grayse the weimaraner. Official couch-holder-downer (with her blankie, of course) ;)

10. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

not sure I understand "stuck with the nearest hole"? part.

don't your stabilizer jacks spin on large threaded bolt to go up and down?
    ?

11. Mama Llama

Mama Llama Member

No, they have holes in them for adjustment. There's a paddle if sorts that catches in the holes. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Joe (41) & Robin (39)

12. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

ahhh....hence why you want the "scissor jacks" as stabilizers.....I get it.
    humm....interesting. wonder why ALL campers dont' have a scissor type jack mechanism for their stabilizers....I mean..on the "hole type" then you are locked into place with either "this hole" or "that hole" and nothing in between....bummer.

13. Mama Llama

Mama Llama Member

Correct. They're like these... [​IMG]

Joe (41) & Robin (39)

14. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Oooo...bumski.
    yep...there's another thread that talks about "scissor jacks" and has some you can buy and bolt/or weld onto the frame in lieu of the ones you have now........would probably be good to see if you can take yer PUP to a welder and get the "threaded scissor type" jacks on there.......I can see how this one with locked-in-place holes would be a PITA when encountering slopes that just don't match up to either holes in between...
    GL.

15. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Those kickdown stabilizers don't really catch on the holes. The holes are only there to poke a rod through for jacking them down. All you do is push down the lock and the leg should drop to the ground (might need help if they are rusty or dirty), then release the lock. The lock holds it wherever the leg falls. If it doesn't, it's probably too rusty or bent and just isn't working properly.

16. Mama Llama

Mama Llama Member

Aaah. Maybe we'll look at them with that approach. Thanks mcbrew!

Joe (41) & Robin (39)

17. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Go with these, with the sand-pads added to the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23026-Light-Trailer-Stabilizing/dp/B000V9ATEW

They mount to the trailer, so you don't have to take them in and out of the camper each time. These are also what replaced the flip-down style that you have now. FWIW, my local RV dealer has these for around $60 including the sand-pads for a set of 2. Your mileage may vary.

18. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

and these can be bolted/welded to the frame underside?
    How normally do they get installed?

19. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Yes, these would bolt or weld to the same place the existing ones are.... On my Rockwood, I installed them where there weren't any, and just bolted them to the frame rails (self tapping screws provided).

20. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member