Replace travel door lock

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Rabbit86, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 Member

Our travel door lock has failed on our 2000 Fleetwood Timberlake. The lock literally fell apart in our hands. Locating the lock itself was easy, but replacing it has been a challenge. The lock is built into the sidewall of the camper, and access so far has been impossible. Anyone done this on the latches that are not in a door but instead in the sidewall of the camper - and might have some advice?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

On the stepper doors , they had to be drilled out because it was rivited together. I would go out on a limb and say your is the same, riveted. But i never had one like that.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

A picture of the lock setup would help.

kcsa75, Jason212 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 Member

I have taken out rivets that appear on the edge of the panel where the lock is mounted, as well as screws from the bottom of the side panel. There was also a bolt on the outer piece of metal with the rivets, and once removed - it did not seem to allow access to the next "layer" of metal. But - here is a picture taken a few years ago with the lock circled. The travel door is the the left. There is no access from the toilet access panel. Door swings to the left and becomes the support for the stove when outside. The bracket that forms the "door frame" on the right side of the door opening - came out with 5 rivets and a 3/8 bolt - but - does not provide any visibility to the locking mechanism. Inside the camper, there is a panel trim piece (sorry - no picture) that goes "behind" the shoilet, and if its removable without breaking it - would love to know how. image.png - it started to rain again so I had to put the camper back under cover and wont be able to get back to it until next Saturday.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 Member

I still have no joy on removing the lock or panel. Got to travel and will be a bit before I get back to it. Hopefully I can figure it out!

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It dosen't look fun, i never had that type of lock so , i am of no use.

7. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 Member

Well, we decided that it would be better to get it done rather than me trying to squeeze it into my work schedule for a repair. Got a hold of a local mobile RV repair company who came to the house and took care of it for what we felt was a good price ($190). Although my wife was home at the time she was unable to allocate time to observe; it took him just over 2 hours to complete, and he even took care of a broken fresh water tank fitting (which I knew was broken but hadn't bothered to fix as we don't use the onboard water tank). Looks like the sidewall DID come off and there are a few more rivets that have been replaced that I originally drilled out - probably why I couldn't get the panel to move!!!

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Rabbit86 - I'm glad you got it repaired. That looked like one of those tasks that's easier when you already know how to do it. There is often value in knowing when to have someone else do the work, even if it's within our abilities. I'm happy to say that my husband has been able to do a good portion of the repairs on all 3 of the campers we've had. He replaced the water pump and stove vent this year. However, we're OK with having the dealership do the bearings & check brakes when we have it in for the yearly inspection (required by our warranty, but it's things we should have done annually anyway, so this keeps us on track) because our driveway is not a safe place to DIY.

Rabbit86 and Sjm9911 like this.