Replacement bearing question

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by TeamECKO, Sep 9, 2016.

1. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

Hi Everyone,

So I am doing my first bearing re-pack and am in the parking lot of my local auto parts store. Their computer could not find my old bearing (from the best we could read TCM15191 VB). The old seal is a metal one, the closest size wise the parts guy could find was a rubber one (Timken 223750). The outer dimensions look spot on, and the inner does as well, except that it looks like there is a second lip on the rubber one (new one) that is a little smaller, also the rubber one is thicker (see attached photos). The sales guy through it would work but didn't seem like he did much work with bearings. Is he selling me the right one?

If not, how will I know if it isn't?

Thanks,

Eric

Attached Files:

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I suggest you contact Leslie at leslies@valleyauburnrv.com. They are located in your part of the country. Or contact a supporter of this forum etrailer.com for help with the proper bearings and seals. Most auto parts guys don't have sufficient knowledge fot camper owners.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Shop around at a couple other auto parts shops...

4. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

I've been to three stores in the area and I am blocking my buddy's garage now,nor some reason no one can find this seal. I finally found a store that had a close match and two of them (several only had one seal). It is a National #223750, also rubber, and has a spring on the inside. I guess I can install it to get the trailer out of the way and then go double check with RV Supercenter or E Trailer

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You might have better luck by giving the manufacturer and type of axle.
    If you can't find it at least the camper model.

6. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

I think the seal is the correct one for you.........
    The OD and ID are correct as you say, what more could you need?
    Use it.

7. tsc

tsc Member

If the inside and outside diameter fits/matches. You're good to go.

The spring on the inside makes it a "double lip" seal, as oppose to a traditional "single lip" seal.

Double lip seals can be used on single lip applications. But it's not a good idea to do it in reverse.

Where you would need a double lip, would be if you have and use Dexter EZ-Lube, Bearing Buddies or submerge the axle into water (the extra spring, helps keep water out).

https://www.etrailer.com/question-21505.html

8. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Spring does not make it a double lip, look at the cross section shown in the link from e-trailer. Double is how the inner rubber hits the spindle shaft.

There are metal seals without springs that are double seal. The ones I install on my trailer looks just like these; no spring, double lip and the ones removed from the plant were the same!
    These are double lip seals and no springs!

Guess I would also ask to ask how well a seal with nothing but rubber would install into a hub. Never tried it, don't plan on it, but curious. Is the outer ring of rubber hard enough to tap into the hub evenly with a mallet or a piece of wood?
    https://www.etrailer.com/Seals-for-Trailer-Bearings/TruRyde/RG06-090.html
    [​IMG]

9. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

The rubber seal shown in the original post is actually steel covered with rubber.

10. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

And as such is less likely to leak between hub and seal. Plus will carry less heat from hub to the lip that seals to the axle...

11. TeamECKO

TeamECKO Member

I reached out to Valley RV and they gave me info for a trailer shop. I reached out to the trailer shop and they set me up with the correct grease seals. I found the Coleman parts manual and we looked the seal up by the part number and found that the parts manual lists the wrong seal. The seal Coleman listed had an inside diameter of about 1.3", where as the sealing surface on the axle is 1.5".

12. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

13. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Sounds like your camper has been reading the wrong book [}:)]