Replacement for stock radio/media centre

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by NeilE, Jul 7, 2014.

1. NeilE

NeilE New Member

I rarely use the unit in our hybrid, but last week wanted to listen to a cd, at which point I discovered that the cd/DVD player no longer works.

I have been looking for a replacement, and Jensen is the most common brand out there. I have also been looking at Furrion DV 1200. Anybody have one of these installed, and can share an opinion?

Thanks

Neil

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The Furrion looks interesting, it must be new on the market. Have you found anywhere to actually price and buy it. On Furrions website dealer link they list about every camping world and only 2 other places. None of them appear to have the DV1200 listed. That all being said I would be a little leery of a new item like that.

I have had good luck with the Jensens, although they are not like an audiophile piece of equipment by any measure. I am not sure I need it anyway in the camper. They are overpriced for what you get. You would be much better off going to an automotive DVD head unit like an Alpine, Kenwood etc. I assume you have a Concertone in the Shamrock?

3. NeilE

NeilE New Member

The Furrion web site has a direct order page. When I compared the Furrion to the Jensen, the specs seem better, and I read somewhere that it comes with a 2 year warranty. Also, it is about the same price as the Jensen AWM975.

While researching this product, I found that the DV1000 (same unit minus Bluetooth and hdmi) is installed in Grand Design 5th wheels.

Neil

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Found that direct order page, the Furrion has 50 watts per channel, the Jensen 6 [LOL] You do have to watch how they are figuring those watts but the sub-woofer output is a nice touch.

I don't know how well a sub-woofer would go over at a campground and it would definitely get your 1/8 plywood rattling somewhere. I have had problems with my exterior speakers making cabinet panels rattle.

I think I would try the Furrion if I needed a replacement for the Jensen.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

John, Thanks for PM-ing me the link.

Neil, I put in a JVC KD-DV7400, which is a discontinued model, but was one that I found that did not have a screen, but did output to a monitor (our TV). Works great, and outputs 50wx4. I still haven't figured out a good way to trim it out and install it so it looks factory, but it is in.

[​IMG]

If interested, I have the Jensen AWM970 available for a great price... (http://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/4527382975.html). I'd be happy to ship it as well, if its something you're looking for.

6. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

KMH: How did the wiring go on the JVC. Was it easily adaptable? Did you just wire indoor and outdoor speakers together as there is no button to select between inside and out?
    I need to replace my Concertone junk and do not want to spend $300 for a radio.

7. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

The wiring was cake... The one in your camper should have a diagram in the radio, or you can look it up online, I wired in outside as tears, inside as fronts. I'll be putting them on switches, but until then, I have to move the fader to the front or rear if I want to shut off either...

If interested, I have the Jensen unit that came out of mine I'd let go cheap, but you may be looking for something with more power. Let me know if I can help.

8. mkaczala

mkaczala Member

thanks for the feedback. that sounds straightforward with speaker control. if you do put them on individual switches please do share pics and how that went.
    i like the idea of car radio over rv radio. i think the car radio mod will last the life of the camper. i like the jvc and ken wood radios.
    thanks

9. NeilE

NeilE New Member

I purchased a Furrion DV 1200 and installed it this weekend. I selected it because of the specs, and because it bested the features of the stock unit, which included DVD/CD/AM/CD plus HDMI output to TV. The Furrion supports all of the above plus digital audio in (won't likely use that) and bluetooth. I installed the unit today and I am very impressed. I thought I would be replacing the stock speakers, but they sound much better now. And the CD/DVD player actually works!

Neil

10. NeilE

NeilE New Member

A correction to the specs of the existing stereo. It supported AM/FM/CD/DVD plus USB. It did not have support for HDMI, however the Furrion has both HDMI and bluetooth support.

Neil

[​IMG]

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nice looking unit..

12. NeilE

NeilE New Member

You mentioned that you thought the Shamrock came with a Concertone stereo. That might be so, but I am not sure. The only markings on the stock radio and in the manual refer to it as a ZX75. Nowhere in the manual is there any other brand information. A label on the back of the unit lists the address 1803 Century Drive, Goshen, IN, which is Forest River's address. This design and durability of this stereo are not among Forest River's proudest achievements.

Neil

13. joelmyer

joelmyer Member

I put a Kenwood single din unit in my 5er to replace the non-working POS that came with it. There's lots of nice $70 units. See Crutchfield or Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKWW5I8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most of the newer ones have USB input . I have a handful of USB sticks with collections of mp3s that I like. After a lot of thrashing around, I decided that one usb per playlist was the way to go.

I haven't gone there yet with the PUP. I have a small boombox and mp3 player if I feel that need.