Replacement Mattresses

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by JoeyS, Mar 17, 2019.

1. JoeyS

JoeyS New Member

Hey everyone. Newbie here with a question. We just bought a 2012 Jayco 1206 pop up and are in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready to camp.

The mattresses that are in there are in OK shape but I wanted to replace them with new ones. I’m looking for the best / cheapest replacement mattresses that I can find but the sizes don’t seem to be standard mattress sizes. The rear seems to be a short queen and the front is a bit larger so I’m assuming it’s a king.

Any advice?

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I can't speak about replacement mattresses. However many folks, including myself have improved the comfort of the standard foam mattress with the addition of an inexpensive mattress topper (usually 2in) and placing anti fatigue mats under the mattresses. Doing both of these has really improved the comfort of our mattresses. No more sore hips and shoulders. Good luck!

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. Most RV mattresses are not standard size. Many do as Matt Benoit suggested. You can measure them, go to an upholstery shop and get higher density foam.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I heard where people just cut their own mattresses out of foam. However if your mattresses are still usable then just cover them with toppers etc. I myself just covered my existing mattress with a waterproof mattress cover stretched to fit. Thanks to dogs,a kid, and myself being clutzy I wanted something that can take our abuse. Then I used jersey sheets over that. Under the mattress I used interconnecting floor pads and my bed is much warmer in the winter and far more comfortable.

Some people just washed the cover and let the foam in the sun to bake to help clean it.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I added 3-inch foam topper to both my tent beds... Pillows are also foam type.. makes for great sleeping...

It is interesting in the morning when you wake up and the mattress and the pillow still have your body depression in them. My foam toppers will freeze solid if I let the temps get below freezing inside the camper hehe...

The other interesting thing is by adding 3-inches to the top of mattress it actually touches the ceiling now when you drop the top down. Be sure to not have any ceilings lights going as this might cause a fire etc... My unit does have the ceiling disconnect switch to kill my ceiling lights when I fold-over the kitchen sink before lowering the top... I have added a sink light to the ceiling as well that goes directly over the sink area... Just something to watch out for...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. JoeyS

JoeyS New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Originally we were going to just clean the mattress covers and put the original foam back in there but after getting a look at the stains on the foam, replacement seems the most hygienic option. I got a short queen from amazon and we’ll text it out on the rear bunk. Assuming it’s good to of, we’ll get a king for the front and cut it to fit.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

Working4Two and Overland like this.
  8. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

This was the condition of mine as well but someone on this portal gave me a possible solution. He washed their mattresses using laundry detergent in a large plastic tote in the yard. Well I figured it couldn’t hurt to try. I just did my full/double mattress in the bathtub. It took two tubs full of soapy water and two of plain rinse water. I “agitated” it by walking on it in the tub, then squeezed out as much water as I could and hung it over a drying rack. It dried in 24 hours.

The result is amazing. Almost all the “stains” are gone meaning it was not really stained, just dirty. And it smells clean and fresh.

I just got a 2” topper to add to it and have the material to recover it ready to be sewn this weekend.

It is a fair amount of effort but no extra cash out of pocket.

Overland likes this.
  9. somekindaguy

somekindaguy New Member

Hi....I am looking for some extra comfort for both of my PUP bed ends (getting too old for the standard issue mattresses...).
    My existing mattresses are the heated type, and I was going to get a 2-3" foam for extra comfort.
    Would the foam be better placed on top or underneath the heated mattresses?
    I still want to use the plug in mattresses for the heat, but need the extra foam for the comfort.
    Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks.

10. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

Id place it Under the heated mattress.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We just purchased these. One in king and one in full size. We are happy with them, but in the interest of full disclosure, they were not a perfect fit, as they came. The king size needed 6 cm cut off the width (length was perfect.)

The full size mattress was not long enough, but also needed 6 cm cut from the width. I used an electric knife .. turkey carver ... to cut the pieces off. Then I used the two pieces to glue to the end of the full sized mattress, which the additional 12 cm made it a perfect length. It glued quickly and easily using this product. It set up in seconds and is strong as if it were always once big piece.

We also have the anti-fatigue floor mats under both mattresses and mattress protectors with 1" of padding sewn in. Our bunks are very, very comfortable. I haven't slept on them yet, as I just put them in today, but I laid around on them for awhile.

For the new foam for our dinette cushions, we ordered from this place. That will not arrive until 4/9, but I have purchased from them in the past, about 15 years ago, and was happy with them then.

12. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

A follow up to say that our “new” mattresses are great. Anti-fatigue mats on the bottom. The standard mattress with a 2” gel-infused memory foam mattress covered together with fabric. Regular mattress cover, sheets, wool blanket and comforter. We use one of the dinette cushions to raise the head of the bed for DH.

He was skeptical but said he was perfectly comfortable and slept well. Success!

WhatdidigetInto and Overland like this.
  13. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

Last year we ordered a 1.5" Zinus foam topper from Amazon to go on top of our existing mattress and it made a world of difference. Since you are wanting to replace yours, you might be able to use one of the 3" or 4" sizes as a mattress by itself.

14. seawolf68

seawolf68 Member

Gonna try one of these for now. Thanks for the suggestion

Orchid likes this.
  15. Overland

Overland Active Member

16. Kate A

Kate A New Member

What a great idea! We will try this at the end of the season or start of the next! Thank ....