Replacement of electric winch for lift system

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Coyote251, May 22, 2018.

1. Coyote251

Coyote251 New Member

Hi All,
    I was camping with friends this past weekend who are new to camping. They purchased a 2012 or 2013 Palamino with an electric winch system. Long story short, the cable bound up in the winch and he continued to pull which broke the cable spool and bent the winch plate. He is not mechanically inclined so he has asked me to help with the repair. I priced a replacement winch which was 400$-500$, this seems extremely high to me for a 1200lb winch.

I had an old 1500lb winch off of a four wheeler that I offered up, but the more I think about it I don't think this is the right option. If something screws up and they are camping they have no manual way to raise and lower the roof. I have been looking around and found this winch

https://www.amazon.ca/Master-Lock-2...=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_5gyfkl5uxd_e

It has more than enough pulling power, plus a manual override. Mounting may take a bit of thinking about, but I think its a better option. I have suggested that they just convert to a manual winch, but this seems to offer the best of both worlds.

Just looking for input or other ideas, suggestions from anyone with any experience with a similar issue. I certainly want to offer them the best most cost effective advice. Any help is appreciated.

2. Coyote251

Coyote251 New Member

That winch in my OP won't work. It is power in only, so it would be great for getting the trailer up, but would then have to free spool to let the trailer down, which would not work and would be incredibly unsafe. Is anyone familiar with an option that would work that is power in/out and has a manual override?

3. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Hi All. I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, probably not. But I need help, professional probably. I'm not strong and need help.

I've been trying to find someone to install my electric wench/lift system on my Jayco popup for several months now. I had someone, two someones actually, and they both backed out. The pros around here won't touch a popup so I'm stuck. I got one of those thingies (forgot the name of it) that can be used with a drill and it barely works.

I want to camp by myself but if I can't find a way to get the darned roof up, I'm in trouble. So does anyone know a mechanic in the NE Texas area who would do this at a reasonable price. Budgets can be difficult you know.