Replacement of Spring in Stabilizer Leg

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Reld4, May 19, 2014.

1. Reld4

Reld4 New Member

We recently purchased a used 1995 Coleman Cedar PU and one of the stabilizer legs is missing the spring. Can this spring/part be purchased from a local automotive store (Canadian Tire), or do we need to go to a RV store? Does anyone happen to know the length of the spring? Thanks for your help.

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I'd take one off of the other stabilizers and go to the auto parts store and match it with something they may have in stock. If you can get one there I'm sure it would be cheaper than getting it from a camper dealer

3. dion

dion Member

We had a problem with the internal spring on one of our jacks, and simply replaced the entire jack. It was this type, and cost us around the price listed, about $17:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Domar/TJ01RT.html

Yeah, in a way that seems somewhat wasteful for the sake of a spring, but getting a custom spring wouldn't have saved very many dollars, and would have taken quite a search. And now I've got the old jack to use as a source for spare parts in case anything (except that main spring) fails on any of the other jacks.

Replacement was easy, just unbolt the old jack and bolt on the new one.

4. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Had one fail in mine. Hated those Atwood stabs anyhow. Replaced with Ball light trailer Stabs and sand pads. Cost me @$150, but no more wrestling with those lousy Atwoods.

BEAR

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

My stabs are welded on, so when the pad fell off, I just bought a new stabilizer at an RV dealer and used the new extension and new spring. Never bothered trying to find one at Canuck Tire, though PartSource might be a better place to look.

You can always modify another spring as long as it's about the same size/strength.