Replacement Options for Tail Lights on Coleman Valley Forge Lite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Daniel Schoonover, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Daniel Schoonover

Daniel Schoonover New Member

Hi! I am new here and I'm making repairs to our "new" trailer a 1981 Coleman Valley Forge Lite.

I'm working on resolving some issues I've had with my wiring on my new to me Coleman Valley Forge Lite. Unfortunately, as I started working on the taillights the plastic started to break and even though it "works" for now I want to figure out my replacement options.

So far I have determined that the combination module is by KD-Lamps and they even have a replacement listed in their catalog. I'm not sure if it still available and I'm waiting to hear back. In the meantime, I'm trying to see what my other options are. Considering the current installation I would like to keep my options to surface mount only so I'm considering some of the surface mount options I see at eTrailer. Does anyone have any advice on this?

2. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you’re looking for an OEM like replacement, it can be kinda tough. Tough enough that lots of people just upgrade to the best overall fit they can find. There are LOTS of places that have surface mount tail light assemblies though, both RV centric and otherwise, including EBay. A search across the web and/or a call to your RV local stores may find yours. As for advice, I’ve had good success with Etrailer in general. Unless you’re determined to stay period correct, if finding nothing after looking I’d get the biggest LED light to cover all the holes good that I can find and move on.

Good luck with it and reply back with what you did in the end.

NLB and Daniel Schoonover like this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A metal plate could make a new mounting surface for any lights you choose. I had to do that on a Jayco I had.

4. Daniel Schoonover

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  5. Daniel Schoonover

Well shoot as I look more into the LED replacements I would need to figure out a spot to install a resistor. So I think I might end us just going with a replacement incandescent instead.

6. Arruba

If you haven’t already done so, before going away immediately from LED probably want to check that if your car is newer, it isn’t already compatible and/or the light isn’t already resistor equipped. As I understand it, the resistor just strangles down the input voltage to the required LED voltage so it doesn’t either hyper blink and/or burn out.

Good luck.

7. Daniel Schoonover

I just realized that since I have a 4 pin I don't have backup lights. Strange that the trailer has them but whatever. I guess those holes will just have lights to cover them. Hah!

Waiting for my new lights...

8. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

For your stop, Running lights you do not need a resistor. For turn signals it depends on the year of your vehicle, the resistor is to keep the blink rate correct. Example ............ without resistor . . . . . . with resistor.

9. Daniel Schoonover

Yes I know why resistors are potentially needed.

10. NLB

NLB Member Silver Supporting Member

What are the years that should not need a resistor?

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Thank you, I learned something.

12. Daniel Schoonover

So I finished the lights. Since I have a 4 pin I covered the other spot with some reflectors. I'm not 100% happy with the end result as the lights aren't really surface mount IMO when they don't fully mount flush but that is what I end up with when I trust the description.
    IMG_20220116_153128.jpg IMG_20220118_085342.jpg

13. Arruba

While my input and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee, I think they look good on there. Thanks for sharing the end result.