Replacement Roof Gasket

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mboehler, Apr 14, 2014.

1. mboehler

mboehler Member

Hello everyone,

As part of our Dutchmen 1203 Complete Rebuild, we we be building a brand new roof. We are not going to be able to use the original roof gasket (the rubber part that seals between the roof and the lower walls when you close the PUP), so we're looking for a replacement. In fact, I don't think we're going to be able to reuse the original metal track that this gasket slit into either.

The new roof, and the rest of the camper, will be wooden. Actually, it will be thin wood covered with fiberglass cloth and an epoxy resin to make it strong and waterproof. What we'd like to do for the roof seal is to find a suitable rubber gasket and glue so that we can glue the gasket to the wood (epoxy resin). The replacement roof seal gaskets we've seen online are built to slide into channels. But since we won't have channels for it to slide into, we're looking for a gasket that is flat on the top.

I'm not really sure what to look for in a replacement gasket or what to look for in the adhesive. We can probably just use the epoxy resin that we're already using as the glue. But that still leaves finding a suitable rubber gasket.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

i bought a replacement gasket from canvasreplacements.com.

you can also check around ebay to see if the price varies from their direct website price.

3. mboehler

mboehler Member

I am thinking of buying a length of rubber bulb seal from McMaster-Carr to use as the gasket. There are a few that are adhesive backed, so I should just be able to stick it on. Can anyone recommend any of the seals on this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-bulb-seals/=rjsbcy?

I am thinking either Style 5 or Style 10.

Thanks!

4. jwrober

jwrober Member

I got something like style 5 from Lowes this past weekend. It was in the weather stripping area. Adhesive back and i threw a few staples on via a gun for good measure.

5. mboehler

mboehler Member

Thanks jwrober,

I'll have to swing by Lowes and check that out. It will probably be a lot more cost-effective. I'm really digging your restore thread, btw.

Thanks!

6. jwrober

jwrober Member

Cool. I won't be doing much this weekend. We have family in town for Easter. next weekend i will be finishing the inside trim and fixing up the canvas. i have been out of town for the past month with work so i am looking forward to making some more progress.

7. mboehler

mboehler Member

Was this the product you bought? I looked at it yesterday and it seems a lot thinner than the previous seal that was on the roof. Can you let me know how it's working out for you? Thanks!

[​IMG]

8. jwrober

jwrober Member

This is what I got

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The walls of my lid are 3/4" thick. This covers the majority of the distance. They seems to work great. Its been raining here off and on for the past few days and I am not getting any water inside like I was before I put the stuff on over the weekend.

9. mboehler

mboehler Member

Great. Thanks so much!

10. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

11. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Check with a streetrod builder, there are catalogs with all styles of weatherstriping that car builders can use.

12. mboehler

mboehler Member

13. jwrober

jwrober Member

I'll bet that will work great.

14. tracyinks

tracyinks New Member