Replacement steps, platform

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by jmh1007, Feb 13, 2015.

1. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Not sure really whether to post this here or in pets or in mods or in hybrids! We just bought a 2015 Shamrock 233s hybrid. I really don't like the steps. I have bad knees (arthritis) and I don't feel very steady on them. Our pup was a Coleman Fleetwood and had a platform step that I loved. This week I have been going in and out to load stuff from the old camper to the new one and my knee swelled up on me. The pet problem is our boxer that freaks out easily and doesn't do stairs well, we don't have them in our house. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince her to come in or out of the trailer! So, between my knees and my wierdo dog I am looking at other step option. Any ideas? I was looking at the folding platforms. Would they hold a human up to 200 lbs? Admin, feel free to move where ever you think is appropriate.

2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I do not know what you mean by folding platform.

Is this what your talking about? STROMBERG We carry one of these for when the site is sloped and we end up with the bottom step too far off the ground.

Even so I don't think there is a way around not using the fold down steps that came with your 233.

3. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

I meant to say ramp, folding ramp.

The pup had a platform that folded up and locked when the pup was closed. It covered the space the door left then folded down when we popped up and you used it as a step.

http://www.colerainrv.com/rv/fleetwood/foldingcamper/6993/Fleetwood__

I know that wouldn't work on the hybrid but would like larger, sturdier steps. I may get some of those step covers so they look more solid for the dog. I guess we'll just camp for awhile and see how it works. I'm going to try and train the dog to get in.

4. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

5. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Genie, that's the exact one I was looking at. It says up to 400 lbs so I would think it would hold up fine. Hmmmmm, it's on the wish list.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The only thing to look at with that ramp is the width, since it is designed for canines. It looks like the width of the "path" is about 14 inches. On the Stromburg step, that is the more narrow, front-to-back dimension.
    You'll also need to measure the width of your door, if that is where you're going to place the upper end, and see what width ramps will fit there. Also, how you will secure it in place, you would not want it to slip as you were using it.
    On any ramp, you'll need a non-slip surface; it does seem that the dog ramp has it.

We have the Stromberg step and it has been great. We had to add non-slip to the step on the Cobalt, it was dangerously slick in wet weather. On the TT, we added one of the rug-like step covers, in an effort to keep mud and vegetation tracking down. It is OK, but we added ties to it, the springs it came with didn't seem quite secure enough; we did not want to find we had lost it along the road.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Can't speak for using a ramp on the trailer. However I agree about finding a way to attach it. I sometimes use a folding ramp for my older/bigger dogs to get in the car. However the ramp does slip when used on concrete. Or really compacted rock. After having my dogs fall I've had to use my foot to prevent it from sliding. While my dogs use the ramp. Now if there is a way to make a groove to hook it on the trailer that may help prevent it from slipping too much. Although may be a problem on uneven terrain. It could work though if you think you can safely walk on a narrow plank and just make a few modifications.

8. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

So...does the Stromberg step just add a third step to the bottom? I have 2 steps on the trailer. The Stromberg is short enough to act as the bottom step? I need to do some measuring. If we could ever get some nice weather when I'm not busy I could take the dog out there and see if she is going to even try.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, the Stromberg acts as another step at the bottom. The one we have can be two heights, a couple of inches if the legs are left folded, or about 8" with the legs. There is another style, with adjustable legs, though about the same max height:http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-PA-250-Aluminum-Platform/dp/B0050EEOK8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424184288&sr=8-3&keywords=stromberg+step

In most sites, having the extra step is great. in some cases, that is the only step we use (both the pup and TT have one fold out step). Usually we use it in addition to the camper step. There have been a couple of sites where the step-down/up distance between camper step and Stromberg was a bit much. The site we had at the 2012 Colorado Rally is an example - but thank goodness we had the extra step!
    [​IMG]north fork site view 2 by kitphantom, on Flickr

Here's a site with more usual spacing:
    [​IMG]Green River site by kitphantom, on Flickr

Before we got the Stromberg step, we used a Rubbermaid stool, but it had a tendency to flip if the ground was not absolutely level and smooth - not great for someone with cranky joints.

10. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We have Handi Step spa step that we ordered from Amazon. Check them out. They provide a sturdy, very large comfortable platform, making our coming and going effortless and safe. The steps are perfectly designed with deep treads and a huge width (about 30" across). They fit right up to the floor base. We highly recommend them. Easily one of the very best purchases we've made for our camping experience.
    M&K