Replacing 2000 coleman Santa Fe canvas

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by ErinG, Sep 18, 2021.

1. ErinG

ErinG Member

Our canvas is in need of a good facelift. My husband and I are seriously considering getting a new one instead of piecing together things to fix her up. So.....we have no one local that does this type of stuff so we would be ordering it. Our concern is putting it on. How hard is it? What should we prepare for? Anything we should now before hand? Anything y'all can think of would be of great help.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Take good pics as you remove the original canvas. It really isn’t that difficult to reinstall canvas, just takes a bit of step-by-step work.
    Both Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek Canvas have similar reputations and prices, slightly different options. With a Coleman, both should have the pattern. Canvas Replacements posted on their Facebook page the other day, saying they are still backed up and suggesting ordering now for next season. I’m thinking Bear Creek has similar timing.

Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. ErinG

ErinG Member

Good to know thank you! We aren't in dire need but if we do decide we want to go ahead with it, it would check a few repairs off the list for next year. Curious....what's considered "camping season"? In Florida I'm beginning to see that our season is a bit different than others.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

This is the quote from Canvas Replacements FB post of 9/14: "Current Lead time is still 22-24 weeks, that being said if you are needing a new canvas for NEXT spring, order now. Orders being placed currently are not going to be shipping until Mid March, 2022."
    Most of the NA continent tends to consider camping season to be late spring to early fall - often, the farther north, the shorter the season. We live in NM, and do most of our camping in the 4 Corners States, which of course includes quite a few mountains. Going from ground tents to a popup extended our season, then going to a small TT did more so. We don't have a 4 season trailer, so our season is pretty much March to the end of November. In part, it depends on where we go.
    When we redid our first popup, Canvas Replacements had a winter sale in February, I think it was something like $25 off. I'm betting they don't need to run a sale these days.

5. ErinG

ErinG Member

I doubt a sale is in the near future lol. Maybe we will lucky though!

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you dont buy it , it will be easy to put on[:D]
    But yea , of you need or want one it will take some time to get it.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I replaced the canvas on my Jayco several years ago. I took multiple pictures during disassembly - on mine there were some spots that used screws and others that just folded over or slid into a rail. A buddy came over and helped me - was much easier with two sets of hands and eyes. We kept the roof at about 3/4 height which also helped.