Replacing '91 Coleman center seam vinyl

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by drum365, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drum365

drum365 New Member

Hi, everyone-

My '91 Coleman popup has a metal strip down the center of the roof, with a piece of vinyl inserted in it. The vinyl is completely shot, but the good news is that as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any leakage.

I've bought a new piece of vinyl, but when I went to replace it, I noticed the front and back ends are tucked around the end of the metal strip and screwed down to the roof, wedging the end of the vinyl between the metal track and the roof. I'm not sure what to do...

1. Just insert the vinyl in the strip and trim the ends. (Easiest, but I worry it might leak, or the wind could cause the vinyl to come loose.)

2. Drive a screw through each end of the vinyl to secure it to the roof. (Not much more difficult, but I worry the screws might cause a leak. I assume I could caulk under the vinyl and around the screws?)

3. Remove a few screws at each end, pry up the metal trim, remove the old vinyl, tuck the new vinyl under the metal trim, replace the screws. (A lot more work - and, though it's obvious how to do one end, what do do at the other end?) (And how the heck did Coleman do it? Is there some trick?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. drum365

drum365 New Member

Never mind -

I was just now showing my wife the problem and came across a screw I hadn't noticed. I'll run the vinyl a bit past the metal track and use that screw to secure it.

screw for vinyl.JPG

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Usually there is no screw. The ends are just tucked back under. You could add a dap of sealer.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Being its a 91, I would seal the strip with Dicor, before it starts leaking

5. drum365

drum365 New Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning a run to Camping World to pick up some Dicor...

6. dclm

dclm Member

Did you get it figured out?