Replacing A Furnance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Fshrmon, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Greetings!

I've recently purchased a 2005 Flagstaff 206ltd pop up and I just finally was able to get into my local RV shop for a Buyers Inspection. It all went very well with the only surprise was that the furnace is 'inoperative'.

Everything else noted was expected and I can easily fix myself.

The RV shop will charge me $132 to run a diagnostic on the heater unit to let me know what is wrong with it. I did ask worse case scenario for a full replacement and he gave me the part name (Suburban NT20) with a part cost of $825.

After a quick google search I found the part for about $330. Granted I have not yet pulled the existing part to see if there are any part numbers on it.

My question is has anyone out there in the community done a full swap out of a furnace in their PUP? It seems like it would be a pretty straight forward project. Any pitfalls to be aware of and be sure to look out for?

TIA.
    Fshrmon

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Very easy. Do it yourself. But what is wrong with the furnace? Download the service and install manuals from the web and check it out yourself.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Get yourself a good DVM and learn the basics. I find it hard to believe you need a "new" furnace. The skill level of most RV techs is really lacking, and the prices!

I used to do commercial HVAC/R and was a darn good controls electrician before that. I remember the time a RV'er or someone gave me a looks like new Coleman or Carrier RV AC telling me the shop down the way told him the compressor was bad and did I want? Sure.
    I took the cover off, which it looked like had never been done before, and LOL there was a wire off the compressor Run capacitor! Replaced and the unit ran like a champ. I asked the RV owner if he wanted the unit back…. no I just had a brand new one installed!.
    Since that time I have seen a lot of this so called service work, no I am retired I do not want or need the work.

neighbormike and Raycfe like this.
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree with the above! Chances are, the furnace is fine. More often than not, it will be a bad wire, safety switch or thermostat.... inexpensive things you can check/ repair yourself. [2C]

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It could also be something as simple as needing a cleaning. Bugs sometimes like to make homes in the vents and propane tubing especially if it sat unused. If the propane is blocked or a nest is preventing something from moving freely it won’t work.

6. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Wasp nests in our area.

7. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice.

I've downloaded the manual and plan to pull the unit out, verify that the unit that is installed is indeed the NT20 and then begin the process of diagnosis. This will be a good winter project to get our PUP ready for next season.

Cheers.

8. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

When I was teaching instead of working in the field, no not RVs but Commercial HVAC/R this is what my students needed to memorize. All this assumes you have checked for power, fuse or circuit breaker good and gas supply is ok is your tank valve on and do you indeed have gas in the tank!!

Call for heat from T'stat
    Blower on for burner (RVs usually use a double shaft motor one end for burner the other end for circulating fan)
    Proof of Burner Fan sail switch or centrifugal switch on motor.
    Trial for Ignition spark for pilot or main burner light off.
    Gas valve open
    Proof of flame If failure, three tries (can vary) and then lock out.
    Flame proven
    Burner runs and circulating fan runs, if no air movement unit trips on overheat limit.
    Unit runs until T'stat satisfied.

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There are simple cheap things that could be the cause of the furnace not working. These furnaces aren't very complicated.

neighbormike likes this.