Replacing a second person with support posts?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Glamping Grandma, May 12, 2014.

1. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

My 1986 Palomino suggests two people to raise and lower the roof.

The posts fold open and a metal sleeve fits over the joint.
    They recommend one person per side.

But hopefully I won't always have to have someone else along to help with my set up.
    I saw some pics from an owner that loads and unloads his PUP in his garage using wooden supports to hold the sides up enough to reach inside.

Would something similiar to that system work for me and solo set up?
    Prop up one side rear, prop up other side rear a little higher, return to first support and raise it more and continue until I can sleeve both joints.
    Repeat process on the other end.
    Same as needed for lowering.

Will it take a lot longer this way?
    So I leave a day sooner. lol
    But will it work?

I could be camping right now if I could set up alone.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sounds like that could work. Maybe a version of the window prop we had when I was a kid - a stepped support, so one support works for several heights?

On our 1984 Palomino, we didn't have the sleeves, we had pins that had to be places in the "knee" joints. Because there were springs in the arms, putting it up solo wasn't much of an issue. Taking it down solo had some challenges. DH made spacer blocks, so I could break the knees one at a time, and enough so I could pull the roof down. We also had a prop stick so that the roof was partially propped up at one end, so I could make sure all the tenting was tucked in before latching the roof down.
    I got a lot of steps in circling the pup as I put it down. However, even the Cobalt takes quite a few circuits for me to put it up or down solo - I probably add to them by the double-checking I do as I go along.

3. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

Thanks for the support and suggestions.
    It will be too hot too soon to have the PUP up for very many days so if I don't try doing it myself soon it will have to wait until Sept.

I have no immediate plans to camp alone but I want the option if possible.
    Thanks again for the encouragement.