Replacing factory bumper on coleman?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by jw3624, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jw3624

jw3624 New Member

Im wanting to add a receiver hitch on the back of my camper to haul more stuff (bike rack, etc) but the back bumper is too flimsy. Im thinking of buying a 7' piece of steel and replacing the old one. It will add more weight but should be stout enough to carry a lite load. Any body tried this before?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Any weight that you add back there will reduce the tongue weight and could cause handling/sway troubles.
    The pup roof rack options are very popular.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The factory hitch bolts to the rear and second to the rear cross-members, doesn't even touch the bumper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jeff d

Jeff d Member

Interesting. I didn't even know coleman offered a factory hitch.

5. jw3624

jw3624 New Member

Where would I find one of those? I like that design.

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

A competent welder could fab one in less than an hour.

However, I would be very concerned about balance and the structural integrity of the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. gixer

gixer New Member

Find a local hitch/trailer shop.
    We have one here they do work on any thin and make custom hitches. Thats the key custom hitches. Most just bolt some thing on so you are going to one who can fab.
    We replaced the rear bumper and added a brace like the Coleman hitch. Made it very strong. Nothing ever moved.
    Yes you have to keep in mind the weight every one should be aware of that by now but if you compensate are are smart it will not effect towing,.

8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Sorry for reviving an old thread but it seemed like the right place.

My old bumper was shot on my 1999 Coleman Santa Fe.

I also wanted to put a cargo rack off the back (my tongue is way more than heavy enough to compensate) and that little bit of thin steel wasn’t up to anything close

I decided to add on a new bumper kit from Mount-n-lock. I drilled out a hole for the crank mechanism and epoxied in a bit of tubing (a sink tailpiece) to protect the channel to the crank.

I also had to cut the bed supports by about 3 inches to accommodate the much thicker bumper (4 inches instead of 1/8)

With their hi-low hitch receiver added, the studs for the bunk supports located, and the crank channel done, it’s a really nice replacement- and adds a bit of hose storage space

AC30E53A-4267-41C3-B338-3DE77334DE89.jpeg

rescamilla and tzmartin like this.
  9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Very good mod. I've thought about doing something similar for poles, hoses, and other stuff i don't want inside the camper. Is that aluminum or steel? Any idea how much it weighs?

Eric Webber likes this.
  10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Eric Webber likes this.
  11. Eric Webber

Thanks!

I had them cut it down by a few inches since the PUP is narrower than some of their RV customers have. The full length is only 25lbs of aluminum (thick at that) so I’m probably somewhere a bit under that. It’s close to the weight of the old steel bumper it replaced but gives storage and 500lb rating

12. Eric Webber

That’s the one.

I needed a new bumper so it was less steep when you factor in that no bumper would be free (well, to me) and even steel tubing is about $100 per around here. Add in the cost of welding and it gets really close without all the added benefit (and weight reduction of aluminum)

tzmartin likes this.
  13. Eric Webber

14. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

My rear bumper is bent; my first thought was to just replace it with a pressure-treated 4x4, which would be stronger and lighter than the OEM steel channel.