Replacing flooring

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by littlebritches, Feb 20, 2019.

1. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I am working on a 1997 Starcraft Venture.

I have read many a thread but the majority of them have been from 2011-2016. I am looking for updated information on putting down vinyl plank flooring. I decided against the stick down due to the extreme temperature differences here in Wyoming (-30 to 100+). I intended to buy standard click vinyl plank. However, somehow, ended up with EZ click Luxury Floating Vinyl Plank.
    1. Is there a difference?
    2. Any recommendations before I open the boxes?
    3. Which direction would be most recommended. I have seen many that started with the space between the benches. However, in my camper, that is not the "length" of my camper but rather the width. I will try to post a picture of the floor plan.

I know materials have changed over the years so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

I just laid click vinyle right over the preexisting flooring. I didnt remove cabinets like a lot of people do. We had to cut to make them fit obviously. They don't look 100% perfect on some of the edges if you look too closely but we are very happy with it. As far as where to start, run in in the lengthwise direction to minimize the amount you have to cut.

littlebritches likes this.
  3. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Thanks for the information & suggestions!!

4. BedHead

BedHead Member

We have vinyl sheet flooring that is peeling back all around the edges. That should be removed before putting new down should it not? Sorry if that’s a dumb question, we have zero experience with this type of thing.

5. GatorChamp44

If you are going peel and stick then yes. If you are laying vinyl planks on top, probably not necessary.

JenJay, BedHead and littlebritches like this.
  6. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

That is good to know as I was wondering that for myself as well.

Mine is not curling at the edges but I do have a couple of "holes" in the vinyl. Some one on an old thread recommended contact cement to hold it down (and let it dry) before putting on new flooring.

Should I secure the vinyl planks at all - for example on the edges or one line of glue on each one "just to make sure"??

7. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Neither do I. That was why I had to ask!! Glad I am not the only one.!!!!!

8. BedHead

BedHead Member

Interesting. Thanks very much!

9. GatorChamp44

We didn't. I admit that I am a little nervous that one day I will open the pup after towing and see a seam lose from the mild warping of the frame that happens when driving but so far so good. Haven't had any issues. The vinyl planks lock together and their weight alone and a good tight fit against the edges should be more than enough to keep them put.

10. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

You might want to check the subfloor in those areas. It's possible that there's a little water damage underneath.

BedHead and littlebritches like this.
  11. BedHead

BedHead Member

Thanks, we definitely plan on doing that.

12. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

So upon closer inspection of the original vinyl, I found a considerable number of "bubbles". Bubbles feels like the wrong word as most a bigger then a small bubble. Just inside the door and under the table are probably the 2 largest ones. Should I make a cut to "release" it to lay flat and then use the contact cement? Or should I pull all of the vinyl not covered by cabinets? In order for me to pull all of the cabinets, I would have to hire it done and I can't afford it. I will try to catch them on camera and post pictures tonight.

13. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Here are the pictures 11428.jpeg 11430.jpeg 11432.jpeg

14. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

looking at the "bubbling" in your pictures, I would inspect the sub floor closely to see if there is any soft spots or rot. If it's in good shape then I see no reason you can't just make a couple of relief cuts and apply some glue to keep it in place and then lay the new plank flooring over it. You'll want to add some quarter round along the bottoms of the benches and cabinets to cover any gaps and allow some room for the flooring to expand and to make a cleaner install.

JenJay, littlebritches and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I have had "floor" guy who installs different kinds of flooring who recommended that I use staples, not glue. Thoughts??

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Staples are used for reguler hard wood floor. Your not using 3/4 inch wood, lol. Go with the floating floor. ( it was like 2 $ a square and you will need 2 boxes)I atually just did mine, as it was a hot topic on the fourm, and i felt i needed to keep up! I still need to do the quarter round , or caulk, or the other stuff posted on the other thread.

Attached Files:

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just cut out the bubbles, a bit of glue like said, stapples pop. ( i read your post wrong) the new floor will keep it down.

18. Alex Kalssen

Alex Kalssen New Member

I recently hired roof repair companies near and they'd done the vinyl covering for me on the roof.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

A year later and still doing fairly well. In the end, I pulled all of the old vinyl that wasn't under cabinets. This allowed for a flatter surface when laying the new flooring. It also allowed for better inspection of the sub floor. For my first install it wasn't too bad. I suspect that I slightly damaged the clicking mechanism on several pieces. I also suspect I didn't give it enough room on the long sides. As a result, I have slight warping on the planks themselves (on the long edges and one or two short edges). However, over all I am VERY pleased with the results. 2019-04-27 17.01.08.jpg 2019-04-28 18.23.18.jpg 2019-04-28 18.23.27.jpg 2019-04-28 18.23.42.jpg

The door area was the hardest to get as it was FAR from square.
    2019-04-27 19.26.26.jpg 2019-04-27 20.14.14.jpg

My only regret is that is it gets scratched fairly easily. However, I am a mountain camping person in an old imperfect camper so once the first major scratch happened, the rest are just part of life. Still looks MUCH better than before with out the holes.

MiG and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. Bob Collins

Bob Collins New Member

What is the brand you used?