Replacing fridge with a dorm fridge

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by campingprincess, Mar 25, 2013.

1. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

I just purchased a dorm fridge for my pop up trailer. We are looking are removing the old propane fridge and putting the dorm one in its place. We do not plan on dry camping, we always camp with electric hook ups because the propane is no longer hooked up to our trailer, previous owner removed tank and possibly the lines. Have you used a dorm fridge.....is it hard to take out the old fridge

2. campindaddy78

campindaddy78 Gone Camping &/or Hunting

I was just considering this for our PUP. If we go Dry camping we have our coolers so it's not a big deal in our minds. In our other camper we had a ice box. removing it wasn't to hard. I would measure twice & cut once before I did anything. otherwise don't rush and it will all come together.

3. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Instead of suffering with a teensy dorm cube, we bought a larger model with a separate freezer section. I think its this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-2-4-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-Look-MCBR240S/202018107?N=c4mo#.UVEBvRwhhic

We took out a small corner cabinet we didn't use much and put the fridge there. The larger fridge is far more usable. It gets cold very very quickly, even in South Texas summers. Having a real freezer section means we can keep frozen foods all weekend long. The door has a spot for soda / beer cans.

When we are ready to move, we unplug the fridge and let it defrost while packing the rest of the trailer. A quick wipe with a towel before we lay it on its back. The beds slide right over the fridge.

We use the old fridge to store bottled water.

4. campingprincess

The fridge we got is on the larger side, it has the same thing in the door for the pop bottle & cans. There is more then enough room for our food in the fridge. It also has a large enough freezer in it to store a package of burgers or some ice cream treats for the kiddies! I got it on clearance for less then 50 bucks, so I figure it is well worth the price as we pay more then that sometimes in a weekend on ice on really hot days. It does seem to have a lot more room then what our pop up fridge came with. We use all the cabinets in our trailer for things, as a family with 3 young chidren we have a lot we need all our storage compartments. I was thinking if we do not remove the old fridge to put the new one on top on the counted where the old one is & use the old one as a dry fridge for snack foods etc.

5. Hockeymom66

Hockeymom66 New Member

We was thinking about buying one but putting outside of our camper under the stove. Wondering if that will work as well?

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I picked up a dorm fridge and set it on the counter right by the door. So nice to have the extra space to put drinks in.

Saves us about $10 a weekend over having to buy ice.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the next size up (3 cubic feet.)

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

7. campingprincess

Hockeymom66 do not use a fridge that is made for indoors outside, they are not water proof etc & can lead to you or a family member getting hurt. If you want one for outdoor use you will have to buy one made for outdoors, or look into the plug in coolers, made by Coleman. We are only using our dorm fridge in the pup where we know it will be safe from weather conditions like rain etc.

8. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Not sure where you're going with that, but the outside outlet should be GFCI protected on any newer PUP. And if it isn't, it's easy enough to do it.