Replacing Propane Tank Brackets

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by brich208, Jul 16, 2018.

1. brich208

brich208 Member

Our '88 Coleman Laramie has two metal hooks that hold our propane tank in place. They tighten on with nuts under the tongue of our PUP.

Wondering if there are safe alternatives to replace them with? We use our tank for our grill and it's a pain to move each time we need to.

2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

I’d think a second LP tank may be your best bet. The J Hooks that Coleman’s use are pretty stable when tightened and any retrofit project will out cost the second tank. What you could do is find a free empty outdated tank at a landfill and the trade it for a newly refilled swap a tank for under $20US. (Tanks are supposed to be requalified in the US after 12 years/Canada after 10 years so our local landfill has a bunch of out dated tanks piled up free for the taking). I’d also recommend getting a Worthington tank over a Manchester since the Coleman J Hooks will not have enough thread due to the collar hole height on a Manchester tank. Note the Flame King tanks sold at Costco US are made in Thailand and have too low of a hole on the collar.

Also here is a 2017 thread along the topic and a pic courtesy of colemanpopupparts.com: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/20-lb-tank-unsafe-with-j-hooks.113165/

96EAF97C-8361-48D4-94CA-91682A33264E.jpeg CE0D5401-3827-42B4-8C75-B21C590880BF.jpeg 10 yr.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I ordered a new LP double pan from Wally World, you can get something like that and bolt it to the frame.

4. brich208

brich208 Member

Thanks for the info.

My other options is to simply grill close enough to the tank on the PUP so that I don't have to take it off. But, then people would have to walk through my "kitchen" to get into the PUP and I can't have that :p

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I replaced my coleman brackets with this set up.
    Screenshot (56).png Screenshot (57).png
    Wingnut with bracket with threaded rod. Still have to secure the rod to the frame. There's another attachment for the regulator if you have room on the rod.

6. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I did like tzmartin did. I also welded the rod to the tongue. Been on there several years,and works well. I also found a double 20# tank cover that blew off someone else’s camper. That keeps the rain off threads,and possibly help lengthen the life of threaddd rod.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Second tank would probably be more convenient than swapping one tank back and forth. Having extra fuel is handy at times.