Replacing PUP mattresses.

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Popitlikeitshot, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Popitlikeitshot

Popitlikeitshot New Member

We are purchasing new mattresses for our 2000 Palomino Yearling RL. How thick of a mattress do you think we could get away with? We’re looking at foam mattresses.

2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have 3inch memory on top of my factory mattress

3. Popitlikeitshot

Popitlikeitshot New Member

Do you have any issues closing the roof?

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

You can do the tissue box test. Remove your mattress, put a tissue box (a square one, not the rectangular one) on the bunk and lower your roof to close up your pup. When you open it the box will be crushed to the size of the remaining room for your mattress. Check out thepopupprincess.com, her blog explains it and there are pictures (if you are a visual learner like me).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

No...but i have a coachmen clipper 806xls...every model is different my roof is deeper than on my coleman columbia...on it i had to roll them up and tie them with a belt at pack up

6. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Tread carefully. We put 5" in our Mesa and it really stressed things badly. I could get it closed. But it ended up damaging things. On the Niagara we have 3" mattresses and 2" to go under it, that we roll up. Makes it easy to get the camper closed without crushing things. It's a bit of a pain, but is so far the best solution we've found.

NorthernLights likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

If your existing mattresses are in good shape, consider a topper. I added a 1.75 or 2.5” one to mine (Can’t remember for sure) and it made a huge difference. My bunks now have interlocking foam mats underneath, original mattress, topper, waterproof mattress cover, then sheets and comforter. I sleep much better in my pup than I do at home. I used a regular foam topper - it was not a memory foam style as I hate those. I don’t get hot like I do with memory foam, and I don’t feel like I am sleeping in a ditch either.

However, I am at my very max limit for mattress height now. I can’t keep the beds made when I drop the roof, so all the bedding has to be packed up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Our original pup mattresses were completely shot; they were hard as a rock and had no give in them at all. So we took them out. Replaced with a coleman air mattress and topped that with a 3" memory foam and then mattress pad and regular bedding.
    We are now able to keep all our bedding, sans pillows, on the bed to close the top by deflating the air mattress first. Much easier to reinflate mattress rather than remaking the bed each time we set up.
    Bonus, best night's sleep ever!

9. Matthew Rockwell

Matthew Rockwell New Member

We just bought a Palomino Pony with 48” wide bunks. When we went to clean the mattress covers one of the foams had a lot of mildew on it, so much that we weren’t comfortable sleeping on it. Because of the 48” width it was hard to find a mattress that would fit for a reasonable price. We found a futon mattress from IKEA that was 55” wide for $100! My wife cut it down and we fit it inside the stock cover. It works great!