Replacing roof vent on 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 6 with aluminum patch.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Sparky_55, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Sparky_55

Sparky_55 New Member

I haven't been the biggest fan of roof mounted vents on any RV really. I guess I could see it on hard walled campers more though. Anyway the roof vent on my Starcraft is starting to leak. Cracks along the flange and cracked dome. Darn aged plastic. I found another on amazon. Unfortunately it is another plastic one. The vent is a smaller 9 inch vent rather than aluminum which no one makes in metal. I'm not really enjoying the idea of cutting the hole bigger either. What if I just placed an aluminum plate in its place and sealed it up instead? The vent is over the galley stove I don't really see the advantage of it as I could just open the flap that is above the stove in the wall. My Parents Starcraft doesn't even have any evidence of one. So it seems not all models even had it. I just don't trust the plastic of today. Let me know what you think.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would cut an aluminum plate about an inch wider than the hole. I would put butyl tape between the plate and roof. I would put in a few sheet metal screws. Then, I would seal the edges and cover the screws with Eternabond. Finally, I would put Dicor self-leveling on the edges of the tape. Sure, it's a belt, suspenders and duct tape approach but it would never leak.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Vent lids are plastic to keep them very lightweight and easy for the tilt out mechanism to lift. Yes, they degrade and will need to be replaced every x years. Just replaced 3 on my TT. They're cheap and easy to swap out.