Replacing screw-type latches for cargo style

SlavCo

Mar 16, 2016
Hey All,

Figured I would post this in case it helps someone out looking to replace their screw-type bunk door latches for the better cargo style latch. I know there are a 100 posts out there on how to do this, but most are a few years old and still reference the Fastec part numbers as well as contact info for Fastec.
Well, I called Fastec and was told they no longer carry these types of latches. My local RV place said they could order them for me, but the price was almost $400 CAD - that's just insane! I did a lot of digging and various websites and forums and finally found a place that had them for a reasonable price. Here's a link if you're looking...

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/Keyed-Cam-Latch-System_p_262.html

They cost me $140 CAD for 4 locks (2x front & 2x back), they were not keyed the same so need to have them re-keyed, but still quite a bit less than the local RV place. Now I just need to get around to installing them! :)

SlavCo

SlavCo

Mar 16, 2016
So I finally got around to replacing my screw-in knobs with the more modern latches. Fairly simple job. Still need to do the front bunk, hopefully this weekend if the weather cooperates! image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG

daveo1289

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2012
Rochester NY

SlavCo

Mar 16, 2016
I like the fact that the latches are up. The factory positioned mine down. Your instillation will prevent any ugly results if the latch fails. Nice job.

Thanks!!
I pondered that very same thing, noticing that most hybrids do have them down. The only advantage of installing them facing down is to make it easier for shorter people. Not a big concern for me being 6'2 :)

SlavCo

Mar 16, 2016
Curious how did you attach the latches to the bunk door?
I drilled the holes and used T-nuts from the inside. They bite into the wood and provide a firm hold. I used an angle grinder to cut down the screw so it's smooth and flush with bunk door.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
This might not be a concern where you live, but in New England winters get cold. What happens when those things get water in them and freeze? With them pointing don, any water will drain out.

SlavCo

Mar 16, 2016
This might not be a concern where you live, but in New England winters get cold. What happens when those things get water in them and freeze? With them pointing don, any water will drain out.
I'm in Ontario, Canada so our winters do get pretty cold :) The drain is actually at the bottom the way I installed them, perhaps the original latches have it in a different spot, but then ones I installed have a notch cut out and it's facing down. Should any water get in it will drain by gravity.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
I'm in Ontario, Canada so our winters do get pretty cold :) The drain is actually at the bottom the way I installed them, perhaps the original latches have it in a different spot, but then ones I installed have a notch cut out and it's facing down. Should any water get in it will drain by gravity.
Oh. OK. Nice find!