Replacing stereo in a Niagara

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Sportside, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Sportside

Sportside Member

The controls on the stereo in my '08 Niagara have gone goofy. I am considering replacing it with a new pioneer stereo, but I have a few questions:

1) Is the wiring (color coding) the same? If not, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the stock stereo?
    2) Will the new stereo have a larger drain on the battery than the stock stereo when I'm unplugged? Should I add a kill switch, or will removing the face on the radio stop the battery drain?
    3) I have read about placing a 9v on one of the power leads to keep the settings when the battery is disconnected. How is this wired?

Any other pointers/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. tampajim

tampajim New Member

Just depends on how old the current stereo is...there are a couple different wiring harnesses around depending on the age. As for the drain on the battery, you should be ok unless you plan to install a couple thousand watts of amps and such. Most new stereos now have static settings that doesn't require power to keep there settings.

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

thirey likes this.
  4. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I hate the stock stereo my Arcadia. I'm only guessing, but you could probably look at the wires and match up the speakers and power.

My wires have little tags on them to describe what wire is what

5. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

I agree. It is fairly open under the sink where the wires are. You should be able to ID everything easily. I will be changing mine shortly. It drives me crazy that it always comes on with the volume at 15.

6. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

The stereo in the 2008 Niagara is not near the sink, and unfortunately it's not very open at all. In fact, you have to remove the built in microwave to get to the back of the stereo:

[​IMG]

7. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

You might be able to pull the radio out from the front of the cabinet without removing the MW Oven since it is a din style radio with a metal can. Some take a special key or looped peice of coat hanger to unlock the radio from the can. Google DIN style radio installation to find pictures on how to lock or unlock the radio from the can. The new radio may or may not have a wire that is supposed to be hot all the time. This wire is to keep the memories of your pre set radio stations. If the new radio has hot all the time wire, I would put an on off switch inline, or disconnect the battery at the end of the season. The old radio may have a color code sticker on the back which will tell what wires go where. Make sure you mark the plus and minus of each speaker wire so you don't get the speakers out of phase-you will loose some bass if you do. You may have 4 sets of speakers outputs, 2 sets for front, 2 sets for the rear. The radio was installed from the factory from the front of the cabinet. The stock radio may have a strap connected to the rear of the radio to stabalize it. If it does you will have to take the mw oven out.

thirey likes this.
  8. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I've got a 2010 Niagara. The stereo is a Jansen Marine stereo. It is in a metal can, and has two keys you insert to release the unit from the can, BUT it also has a metal strap bolted to the to the bottom of the counter top and the back of the stereo since the paneling is too thin to support the weight. The only way to get mine out is to pull out the microwave to undo the strap. Good luck. YMMV.

thirey likes this.