replacing stock icebox with mini-fridge

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by popitup84, May 2, 2013.

1. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

95 coleman destiny royale...has the ice box in it..i have access locally to dry ice for a good price but i'd love to convert to having a real fridge! i don't have my pup near my house at the moment to measure to see what could fit...has anyone done this or know the dimensions of the spot that is currently housed by the icebox?

2. efehser

efehser New Member

Roughly 20" H x 18" W, that's the standard opening, my Jayco is about 18" deep clear of obstructions (LP lines, wires)

3. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

will a regular mini-fridge need to be vented somehow in the back?

4. efehser

efehser New Member

Like a dorm fridge? Nope.

5. popitup84

popitup84 New Member

awesome!! thank you very much!! now to find one to fit in that location.......

6. efehser

efehser New Member

I can't find the exact thread, but i believe you will have to trim a bit to get the smallest ones to fit. I think it was about an inch.

7. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

I would like to point out that most modern fridges have the condensor coils mounted at the sides of the unit under the skin. With little-to-no gap between the fridge and the walls of the cabinet(s), it may well be hard to keep the fridge cool enough.

Just something to think about.

8. gixer

gixer New Member

Some mini fridges say they cant be used in campers.
    My parents bought one and sure enough it came with some paper work with big letters stating this.
    We thought it was odd but they took it camping any way. Just had it sitting up on the counter.
    My dad said yeah it didnt work that well and got very very hot.
    Why we dont know. He has Ac in his pup so its not like it was sitting out side in 100+ heat.

9. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We removed a cabinet and plopped down a larger 3.5 CF college style fridge. It makes almost no noise, and the heat is negligible. We set the microwave on the fridge. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-3-5-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-in-Black-ENERGYSTAR-HMBR350BE/203532479?N=c4moZy0Z12l3#.UYgoTrUhhic

The fridge has one door. Inside it has a separate door to the freezer part. We set it on 4 out of 9. Any higher and the food in the fridge section freezes. It works VERY well, and gets cold quite quickly. No more fears of melted butter and rancid bacon.

[​IMG]

10. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

When closing the camper we dry the fridge with a towel and rest it on its back.

When opening the PUP, we set it upright to get it out of the way (its right by our entry door). After getting the sink into position and the PUP door on, we plug in the fridge.

No problems after a few years of service.