Replacing the Bearings on my pop up

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by dawgma, Jul 7, 2016.

1. dawgma

dawgma New Member

So I just bought this pop up, it's a 1994 Coleman Roanoke cd series. I got home and noticed the cap was off and the bearings were gone. The cap was in place when I checked it over so, This probably happened just before I got home since I never felt any movement or heard anything. Since I can't pull it like this and I haven't found anything in the manual about replacing them, I was wondering where I can get the parts? Not planing on camping before Fall, but want to make sure it is road worthy :) Any help will be appreciated Thank You Dawgma

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. If nothing else was damaged, (like spindle and/or hub), a bearing replacement is a straightforward job that you can do. If you give all the specifics about what you have on there, (axel type, size etc) an RV shop or online eTrailer can send you what you need for a fairly low cost. Someone here may know what you need already.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I don't think your bearings are "gone", I think you just lost a dust cap. Jack up the wheel ( under the spring perch ) and give the wheel a wiggle test. If you disassemble the bearings, the old bearings and seal should have a number printed on them.

4. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

If the Castle nut is still in place then you only lost the dust cap. since it's new to you, the bearings should be checked to see if they do need replaced and repacked with high temp bearing grease.

5. waitersworld

waitersworld New Member

6. o740c314i9xt

o740c314i9xt Member

should be:
    L44649 bearing/cone
    L44610 race/cup
    13194TB seal

7. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Most purchase the parts from an online retailer like etrailer.com or from a local place like Tractor Supply or a trailer shop. Since you didn't state what size axle you have, making guesses about which part numbers you need won't help. Depending on the age and make of your axle, there may be either a label or stamp on the axle tube that will identify it. From this you can figure out what parts you need. Also, if you dismount one of the hubs, you can look for stamping on the two bearings that will tell you the part numbers. If you contact the people over at etrailter.com they will help you figure out what parts you need, even if it's just through you taking measurements of the spindle. The seal depends on the size of axle and whether or not it's an EZ-Lube or the like.

All this being said, I'm with some of the other people here in that unless you lost your castle nut & cotter pin (or standard nut, castle washer, and cotter pin) then you couldn't have lost the outer bearing too. You probably just lost the grease cap. These can be picked up at any of the places I mentioned before.

8. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

I bought made in USA (new old stock) FEDERAL MOGUL BCA A4 bearing set's off Ebay for $6.49 USD ea. shipped.

(L44649/L44610 combo)

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Got mine at a local trailer shop. Along with new brake pads and drums. Ask the desk and they will give you the right bearings and other stuff you need.

If the cap is missing, that may mean that the drum is damaged. If the cap doesnt fit and seems to be small, it is definely damaged. better buy drum to play safe. Its only $55 each drum.

10. windjammer

windjammer Rather be Camping. "All that wonder are not lost!"

How often do we need to repack bearings on single axle TT?

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

annual to bi annual depending how often you camp. Be sure to force the grease IN the bearings which will push the old grease out.

12. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I learned to service bearings before I knew what girls where for. Don't use new grease to force the old out, that would never get it all. Clean with solvent (back in the day we used gasoline, but that was when people where smart enough to blow themselves up), then pack the bearings with grease. One trick I learned working on larger bearings; When you take it apart,clean and inspect the race first. It is easier to clean the race, the hub needs cleaned no matter what. If the race is bad, no reason to clean the bearing, because it is bad. If the race is good, the bearing might be good. Should always be replaced as sets.
    Once you know what bearings/races/seals you need, I think it is smart to keep at least a pair of seals, and bearings/races on hand. You decide it's a good day to service the bearings, you have all parts needed to do 1 wheel. If the bearings in the first wheel are good, you can finish the job. If you replace the bearings on first side, the wheels are all on the trailer if you can't get parts, or back to job. Maybe I'm the only one who's day can change, and would hate to leave the trailer crippled.
    I have never needed to work on my bearings while on a trip, (have done others, and seen many that needed) but I carry spare bearings/races/seals/grease and the tools. I pack the spare bearings, then seal them in the can of grease. If I needed to make emergency repairs, the time would be reduced
    IMHO, 4 things could keep me from towing my trailer home; Lights, tire, bearings, or accident. Accident, all I can do is try to prevent. For all other problems, I carry parts and tools...

13. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I did a bearing replacement recently. The bearings were probably still good, but the camper is 43 years old so I decided I should replace them. I found all the bearings and seals at Auto Zone. (I could have found them cheaper, but I didn't have to wait for them and if I got the wrong ones I could go back and exchange them for the right ones). I followed a process very similar to the video above. I had a short weekend trip that I did to make sure the camper was sound. (Lights, bearings, wheels etc.) It was only an hour tow, but my bearings were VERY hot. (Too hot for the trip I was about to embark on). I did some more research. I am not a mechanic but I found a tip that I tried as far as getting the bearing seated correctly. There are a lot of ways to pack the bearing. All are probably sufficient. But this was the way I found to seat the bearing correctly. You don't rely on a tire spin. What you do is tighten the castle nut completely. Back it off and tighten it completely again. Repeat a third time. Back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and install the cotter pin. That's all there is to it. I know this works. I put 4900 miles on the camper after that initial trial run and then re seating the bearings using the method I described. I checked for heat regularly over the entire trip. Even in some hot road conditions the bearings never heated up. (300 or so miles in some of the longer stretches). May be I don't have the "touch" to know when I was there on the tire spin method, but the other method worked and with no guess work.

Phoodieman

14. tombiasi

I wouldn't rely on just backing off a certain amount. You need to test end play.

15. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I did spin the tires quite a bit while the axle was in the air and listened. I also will grasp the wheel and try to see if there is any "rocking" to make sure I am seated correctly. I think a 4900 mile trip would have proven if my method didn't work.

Phoodieman

16. tombiasi

You managed to do a successful bearing seat. It doesn't mean your method is correct. You did test the wheel play after all which wasn't mentioned in you original explanation.

17. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

[SNZ]

18. tombiasi

sweet dreams.

19. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Wasn't the last year for the Trailblazer 2008?

Phoodieman

20. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

2009 actually