Replacing the Bearings on my pop up

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by dawgma, Jul 7, 2016.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Don't know what you are looking for phoodieman,
    I have the last year for trailblazer. 2009

2. tombiasi

What would be the reason you would question the year of my TV?

3. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Wondering if the later years had the same problems my 2006 has. I have a TB. Love/hate relationship with it. They got some things wrong but got a lot right. The I6 for one.

Phoodieman

4. tombiasi

I had an 06 before the 09. 09 fixed some things but has other things.

5. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Mine won't peel out but man it tows good. I put about 6 or 7 thousand on it towing the pup. It was showing its age but I put some work and money into it and it was in pretty good shape even with 120K miles on it. Then some lady decides to pull in front of me and totals it out. I still got close to 7000 on it. (I guess it had an extended wheel base that added a little extra value to it). Used that to pay the very little I had on the note and bought another 2006. Now I'm chasing a check engine light, (P0710 or something). I think I have it narrowed down to the 02 sensor. If I ignore the speedometer and keep the tach at 3 or less I can get over hills, keep up a decent speed and still have some good gas mileage. It got me to Maine and back in one piece and it's still running so I'm going to stick with it for now. Guess I better get off this thread. Turning into a tow vehicle issue.

Phoodieman

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

As a few others have said, the bearings are 'probably' still there (otherwise the wheel would be flopping all over the place), and most likely just the cap took off. But you should check them over, or have them checked for condition, and to make sure you didn't get a pile of sand in there while towing without the cap on. Wheel bearing grease is a sand magnet.

I had an old boat trailer that would lose those caps all the time. I finally wound up having to glue them on every time I had them off. I would soak the corner of a rag with brake/choke cleaner, and then drape the corner of the rag over a slotted screwdriver. I would use this to clean the inner portion of the hub where the cap grips on. I would then also clean the cap surface with the same cleaner. I would then smear some RTV silicone on the cap surface and install the cap. Let it set up until tomorrow, and you're good to go.

7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

If a new, tight fitting cap will not stay on, pull the wheel. (Check the bearings if you have not already done). Use a hammer and punch to peen the inside of the hub...