Replacing the dinette table

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by kskelloggs, Jun 14, 2017.

1. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Was just wondering if anyone has replaced their dinette table with a real wooden table top, using the existing legs and such? I am toying with the idea of building one, and was curious as to comments and ideas and problems, if anyone has tried this. Thanks!

EmilyW likes this.
  2. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

I plan on building a new on for ours as well, the previous owner trashed it. I don't see a reason it wouldn't work. We will use ours as a back up bed incase we have other guests so I'm just going to make sure its study and reinforced on the bottom to cover any weight.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

There have been quite a few rebuilds of table over the years, though I'm not sure all the old posts are relocatable.
    Often, the original table is used as a pattern. There were a couple of people who made a lighter version, similar to a hollow core door. Those, IIRC, were not used as beds. Others have made them from plywood or other wood, and either painted or stained them. Some have decoupaged photos or maps to the top. Many of the replacements are lighter than the original wood used.
    Not matter how they've been made, some sort of support framing has been needed to keep them from sagging or breaking, especially when used for a bed.

EmilyW likes this.
  4. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I am going to replace mine with 3/4 in ply. The current flake board is way to heavy. I have some left over white formica and will put white edge banding on it too. My current table has two steel channels support rods that I will carry over together with the folding leg assembly. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

5. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Good luck Popiworks. I need to do the same and hope to learn from your experience.

6. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

I just broke a corner of my table, so I will be replacing it with some 3/4" plywood. I will most likely use a round over bit to smooth it up and then paint it. I will use the leg from the current table on the new table, but it will have to wait bc we are leaving Saturday morning for our next trip.

7. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

8. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

When I made a new table top. I used the old table as a template. I took the old one and place it over the plywood and drilled through the existing holes into the plywood so I wouldn't have to measure where all the hardware would go.

EmilyW likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Exactly.

I replaced two table tops and three counters out of a single 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood plus one 2x3 piece. Then we finished the wood with a stain and urethane. [:)C]