Replacing the flooring in my Bantam Trail lite..

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Bigpineguy, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Yes, it is supported on the camper frame, and also was screwed into the metal braces on top of the frame , I used "L" shaped brace holders to secure it to those braces ...

2. clif1025

clif1025 New Member

Thanks for the info.

3. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I like the look of laminate but how would it hold if you dumped a bunch of water or if you had a plumbing leak.

Would it find itself to the underside of the laminate and rot the floor away.

4. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

You really need to consider whatever flooring you choose, rather it's in you camper or in your home ..Laminate is just compressed cardboard.....excess water can and will damage this type of flooring......Spills and splashes won't affect this flooring , but a Water line break will..And A bad enough "break" would affect ANY flooring that you have.....and that's a fact!
    If you are concerned about any type of Moisture , then go with the Vinyl wood like planks ( Home Depot Has a line called "Allure") They use a "Contact Cement" based connection system that works VERY well ! I used "left over parts from Jobs that I have done ( I am a flooring installer by trade ) If I had bought product, I would have used The Vinyl Planks...

BPG~

5. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

Bigpineguy I have started to look at some peel and stick tiles and have a couple questions and was wondering if you could help me.

I notice in most stores there are two quality of tiles. The more expensive ones are roughly twice as much. The more expensive tiles do feel like a better product but is it worth paying twice as much for them.

Some tiles say they that you can use grout on them. Is it necessary to use grout on peel and stick tiles or if I install them butted up next to each other will that be good enough.

Thanks

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Your flooring looks awesome. Thanks for the pictures!

7. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Are you talking about LVT tile ? I could give you more info , if I knew what kind of tile you were looking at ...

8. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I believe it would be peel and stick vinyl tiles

9. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

the Basic "Lick and stick" tiles would be put tight together .... No grout lines ....

10. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

WOW. Do you do basements.

11. Gerbera

Gerbera New Member

I'm a fellow Michigander [:D], and I am doing the same renovation in my 2000 Roo (also got a great price because of a soft floor spot). I have ripped out the luan board top layer of the floor and the styrofoam. The underlayer, some type of super thin board, was also quite wet. I was going to replace that as well, but it looks like in your pics that you left that behind despite the moisture damage? Should I leave mine alone?

We have a ton of corrugated black plastic panels left over from a project DH's employer did, and I thought I'd use that to replace the bottom layer. My camper has the fabric-like underbelly, and the wet super-thin board looks like it's just laying on that (was originally glued to the bottom of the styrofoam I believe, but the contacting layer just peeled off with the styrofoam). In this picture I removed the section at the top a few days before removing the rest, and you can see it does dry out some. But all of the strength the board provided is gone. I am going to be using the wood studs like you did for extra strength, but not the plywood - only replacing half the floor so the top layer needs to be the same thickness as the part I'm not replacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Campinggirl

Campinggirl New Member

Hello! Are you still in this business? Looking to get the floor replaced in a bantam trail lite. About how much would that run?

13. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Don't think you are going to get an answer:

Bigpineguy was last seen: Aug 17, 2014

jnc likes this.
  14. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

This all sounds very familiar. Be sure to reseal the roof, and make sure bathroom plumbing is good.