Replacing the "kitchen" cabinet opposite the door, near the bed

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The project crawls along, measure 3x cut once. Home depot 1/2" Birch plywood had some flaws that were revealed when I cut the pieces. I only buy there since I can buy 2 ft x 4 ft pieces . I don't have a wood rack area to store much in the way of wood leftovers.

I measure the thickness of the full extension drawer slides - just as well - they are thicker than the stated 12.7mm.

The hardest part is building a "cabinet" but not being able to build the entire box , because the Aliner provides the back and base. It needs to be all-square, but most importantly the two sides need to be parallel. And then the notch for the wheel well adds a complication, because I lose my lower right hand corner as a control point.

So I am deliberately taking it slow, so I have time to think things over. The cabinets structure will be fully screwed so it can be removed if need be. Drawers will be screwed together, but I may glue the drawer base into its mating slots as all drawer parts are plywood and won't change size.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

No dovetails?

3. Anthony Hitchings

I have never done dovetails. I have used a fancy symmetric rabbet - which was great, on our old pantry in San Mateo.

These drawers get a simple butt joint - its more than adequate for the level of use. I may even include glue.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

More complications :-(. The Aliner floor has a bow in it, drooping as we go outboard. So the base of both sidewalls has to be shaped to match. For which I am using my corded Ryobi 3x18 thin nosed sander. My 4" Bosch sander is too heavy/clumsy for this fine tuning.

Hilldweller likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

While a Den Leader in Cubs, I picked up some old brass Post Office box combination doors, so we made banks out of them. Scouts had the option of butt, finger, or dovetails joints. Most chose finger or dovetail. I helped them lay it out and they cut them out with a mixture of coping saw, pull saws, dovetail saw, and chisels. The joints were rough, but they learned a little and had a good time. Most of the boys (men now), talk about that one project when they see me, and still have the bank and still remember the combination.

Hilldweller likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

OK - I fess up. I did two small projects with dovetails in woodworking shop, in Middle School, back in New Zealand.

Hilldweller, Sjm9911 and WrkrBee like this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Screws - if anyone cares, I will be using Kreg #8 * 1.5" (SML-C150) flat head coarse threaded pocket screws to fasten my cleats to the pathetic inner plywood on the Aliner walls. I chose them on account of screw geometry and the true self drilling tip (same as the tip on the screws used by Aliner).

Hilldweller likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Did you cut the dovetails by hand?

9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

On mine i like that space...i have a narrow bin just tall enough to sit above the wheel well and 3 wider bins stack on top of it and almost reach the wall...They stay put nicely.
    The wheel well is a space killer.
    We put a fan and ceramac heater with the rest of the space...our long cabinet is broken into 3 compartments.
    Wheel well part...furnace register with a cubby hole under it and a small drawer next to bunk...poor design with lots of wasted space. After the wheel well storage imo.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Yup!

11. Anthony Hitchings

My middle school woodshop had us make a bed tray almost identical to this - but not in bamboo. Its still in existence, back in NZ.

Attached Files:

12. Anthony Hitchings

Progress:
    Backwards - some of the 1/2" Birch plywood for drawer cases has delaminations (no glue line).
    Forwards: the first (right) side is in place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Campeador and Hilldweller like this.
  13. Anthony Hitchings

Still another problem.

So I took the right side of the "cabinet" out the the Aliner, and placed it in position (beside the doorway). There is a tapered gap where it abuts the wall.

Each of the two cabinet sides was made to fit its location - but the Aliner floor apparently has a different bow at each location (even though the locations are only 19 apart C-C). The difference is likely due to the presence of the steel framing for the retractable steel step. ( or I am just not competent enough to get it right in the first place)

My current thought is to remove the right side wall, place the left side wall, and use my big 4x24 Bosch belt sander to adjust the base of the right wall to suit. The notion here is that the floor closer to the steel step is more likely correct (less slope). So this is wha'ts happening, now the left side is in place and the right side's base is being fitted-to-suit with the big belt sander.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  14. Anthony Hitchings

Well - cabinet is now in place, minus the top (so that its easier for me to screw in two drawer slides not yet in my possession, though I did pre-dreil anb pre-screw the fastening locations). Now I move on to fabricating the drawer boxes.

Attached Files:

Econ and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Anthony Hitchings

Done !!

It ain't fancy, and I don't care. Main thing is - the drawers slide and are full extension.

So now we have a custom lower cabinet and we also use the portable metal storage unit on top. And DW has two drawers in the custom-built portable galley on the opposite side of the Aliner.

Attached Files:

Campeador, Econ, Hilldweller and 2 others like this.
  16. Anthony Hitchings

And in case anyone was wondering - there are significantly more screws connecting the lower Aliner outer wall than there were in the old arrangement.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Look great.

18. S4nsc

S4nsc Member

That looks great. Good work!

19. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Dovetails ---- router and jig...

...just sayin'...

20. WrkrBee

Unless you have a lot of dovetails to cut, you can have them done in the time it takes to set up the router and jig. You also develop skills that you can't using a router.

Hilldweller likes this.