Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jul 8, 2021.
Good point. And those skills are lacking in my case. lol
But my router, she's a sweetheart.
I have owned a router since 1977, and replaced it a while back with a Bosch. Now that I am retired I could spend time on dovetails, but then again, being retired, I don't have to do most of the things that I don't have an interest in, such as dovetails. Although they may be a good solution for thin plywood (15/32"). Or they might tear it up.
I screwed them together, the ply base is a tight fit, no glue. So the drawers are likely not as robust as most drawers, but they will not get many load cycles, so I expect them to last OK. If they start working loose I will unscrew them and reassemble with glue as well as screws.
They are probably hundreds of times better than the original cabinet…
Dovetails are better for solid wood joints, with contrasting woods.
If it opens and closes and works as a dray you did good!
Aside from having ball bearing glides, this set of drawers maximizes the practical available storage volume.
Dovetails: so I just watched a video in which a person used a jig to make all the dovetails on a simple drawer case - in 12 minutes. I may have to try this on my next project that involves drawers. I have the router, I just need the dovetail bit and a jig.
You can make dovetails faster in Canada.
Dovetails in 3 1/2 Minutes with Rob Cosman
The man has very good hand skills.
this is what impressed me:
WOOPS !! :-( I made one mistake.
When building and measuring it seemed like I could gain back 3/4" of cabinet height at the wall hinge area - so I did move my cabinet top upwards by 3/4". The Mistake here was in looking at the "kitchen" side cabinet that was directly under the hinge, and thinking it was an ok arrangement for both sides of the Aliner - but it is not. As one wall (kitchen side) has to fold over the top of the other wall (door side).
Today, for the first time since the cabinet build, I tried to close up the Aliner. The cabinet is now too tall for the roof panels to lie down properly.
So I will completely unscrew the whole setup., take 3/4" of the tops of the sides (there is no front), cut down the bottom (tallest) drawer 3/4", move all the drawer slides down 3/4" and reassemble.
I will not take 3/4" off the bottom of the cabinet because it was coped to suit, including the flor cleat, I don't wan to go thru all that again.
I am going to "sleep on it" overnight, and do the remedial work on Saturday.
Its a good thing that no glue was used in the project.
Optionally, if I move the bottom shaped cleats up exactly 3/4" in a parallel move, they will be OK as they keep their shape. And if I carefully scribe the bottom edge of my plywood walls, and cut out that line with my sabre saw, maybe I will take the 3/4" off the bottom of my "cabinet" sides, and the upper three drawers slides can remain exactly where they are.
This is why an overnight hold is in effect before cutting occurs
I went back to check the old dimensions, because I had previously changed out the "cabinet" top for a thicker one, in order to hold the wire frame drawer unit that sits on top of the door-side cabinet.
Old total height = 20.795", new height = 21.625", overage to be corrected = 0.82", so I will lower my new cabinet top by either 7/8" or a full one inch.
All done - looks the same as before. I took the 1" off the bottom, and made the bottom drawer 1" less tall and moved its support slide rails down 1" on the side of the drawer. With interruptions - it took all day, but with me being retired - who cares how long it takes!
One ting - the original design for how the opposite Aliner upper walls stack when laid down is bogus it only works because the walls are so flexible (droopy0 in their upper regions. So I found that out the hard way.
Update: the drawers work exceedingly well in practice as pantry (bottom 3 drawers) and sundries (top drawer).
So frustrating to have a project all "done' and then have to go back and re-do stuff. Sounds like it came out OK!
just finished a 17-night trip - the "cabinet" of drawers worked great. Carries more stuff - more readily accessible.
One tiny problem, one side (nearest to the door) is screwed to a floor cleat with old timey wood screws - and the kept working out of their holes. I will replace them with pocket-type screws (same as i used elsewhere).