Replacing the linoleum flooring

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Loth, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Loth

Loth Member

Hey All,

I've seen a lot of renovations replace the flooring and I'm curious the right way to go about doing it. Is it best to take out the cabinets so its just the base box? Or cut away the linoleum on the cabinet edges and replace that way? Or clean and apply over the old? Is it better to use a vinyl sheet or click-lock planks?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It depends on what material you are using and how much work you want to do. All of those can be done well. Some flooring needs to expand ( floating floors) so they shouldent be installed under cabinites.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would remove as much as possible. Less seams to curl up, etc.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I would remove the old flooring that the you can get to. Unless you have an obvious problem I wouldn't worry about removing the cabinets. Then you can make any necessary repairs on the subfloor before putting down the new flooring.

That's what did in our TT. We used the click and lock waterproof flooring from Home Depot. DW is very happy.

5. davekro

davekro Active Member

First you will want to decide if you want to use the thicker (+/- 1/4") wood based, or vinyl covered wood based click lock floating floor material -or- Vinyl flooring. Personally, I like the idea of all vinyl for ease of installation and zero chance of water affecting it. I will be doing this mod and will be leaving the existing wall to wall OEM vinyl sheet flooring in place. Whatever flooring type you choose, spilled water could/will 'get past' your new flooring at some point most likely. I like the idea that the old OEM vinyl is there as a water barrier of sorts to keep water away from the OSB wood floor. 1) Vinyl 'planks' of various widths and styles that connect via glued overlapping areas along the edges are very easy to install and relatively inexpensive. 2) 'Self stick glue down' vinyl is also available in 1'x1' squares, 1'x2' planks and various width 3' long stick down planks. For my project, I am more concerned about finding a color and style of vinyl that is not to dark that we like to match our faux oak look cabinetry, that the type of vinyl product. I'd slightly prefer the option (1), but we have not found a color/style yet at Home Depot or Lowes that we love, so the search continues. But our choice will be vinyl placed on top of the (cleaned) OEM sheet vinyl.

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

Loth, if you do not mind this as part of your thread... How about people post pictures of their re-floor covering so we can all get the benefit of seeing a variety of floor colors and styles with the common Pup cabinetry color/styles? If Loth is OK with it, post pics of your wood based, vinyl based and even OEM flooring that you really like.

Our OEM floor is off white w/ small 3" looking squares. It just looks dated. We have left over vinyl planks from our house that we love, but we wonder if the dark brown would just be too dark. I'd guess most, at least older, OEM Pup floors are very light or white-ish to add light in the small space. I don't know if from a design perspective if a darker floor makes a space look smaller. I do not have an eye for those things, that is why I'd personally love to see pics of newer OEM styled floors as well as re-flooring from you folks, who DO HAVE a designer's eye! ;)
    ( I could certainly start a separate thread, but that would kinda feel redundant. But will do if others think that better.)

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

How old or new is your trailer?

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

Snow, From another post from Loth, he has a 2001 Starcraft: Resealing a Roof on 2001 Starcraft

Loth, it would be a good idea and helpful to us all if you add a 'Signature' that includes your Pups brand, year, model. Also, it is very helpful to mention the 'box size' because that tells us what size everything is w/o having to look up the Model. :eek:) Including your tow vehicle make year, model is also good because conversations often relate to the TV.

In the upper right of your browser window
    click your picture & name > select Signature > enter the info you want. (See other signatures and decide what you'd like to include.) > click save changes. :eek:)

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thanks davekro..

10. Loth

Loth Member

all done, thanks! I found another user with a starcraft (same flooring and wood cabinets as me) and had him post his renovation pictures if it helps with color: https://www.popupportal.com/threads/1997-starcraft-1224-pics.128332/

davekro likes this.
  11. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thanks for getting the Youtuber sstressfl to post his thread on the portal. And way to go and one up on the links in your signature! Hah, we need to play catch up! LOL

12. Loth

Loth Member

I'm leaning more towards all-vinyl rolled sheets, cutting the old floor up around the cabinets and lifting/replacing. I'm just debating on if I have to take out the cabinets (which I think will be more time consuming than doing the flooring?); I don't really hate the color of them so I wont be painting them. I also am not allowed to have the camper out for more than a couple days at a time so time is a factor as well (I can do exterior stuff all day but since this involves opening it up for an extended time its an issue).