Replacing the Pop Up Mattress

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by C Wissel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. C Wissel

C Wissel New Member

Hi Campers, We just bought a used pop up camper. It’s a 2007 Fleetwood Bayside. It seems to be in okay condition, however we will be sprucing it up as we go. My first item is the mattress. I do not want to sleep on a used mattress. Has anyone actually replaced theirs and if so, where do you buy sheets as it’s an irregular size. Or did you just put a 4.5 inch foam mattress topper on top the original mattress. I don’t like used mattresses. Help

2. Coreym95

Coreym95 New Member

Amazon sells a 4.5 inch sleeper sofa memory foam mattress that might be a decent replacement. A couple of the reviews said they are using it in their pop up. A 4.5 inch topper will probably be too thick to out on top of the current mattress.

C Wissel likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

To replace the mattress,t he first thing to do is to determine the space you have to work with. Do the Kleenex/tissue box test. Place an empty tissue box, or one of similar weight cardboard (not heavy duty) on the platform of the bed (no mattress). Close the popup roof all the way and latch it. Open it back up, the the new height is the amount of space left when it's closed up.
    We had a 2010 Coleman that we used 2" of memory foam over the original ~2" mattress, but we could not leave any bedding on it to shut the roof. The handle to the door stored on the ceiling left and impression in the memory foam.
    More info in threads here: https://www.popupportal.com/forums/cushion-curtains-carpets-bedding-clothing-stor.79/

C Wissel likes this.
  4. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

You can get a new mattress made from the foam factory.(https://www.foambymail.com/)
    They're a great company to work with.

Tuck the extra sheets under or get the corner bungee that attach to the sheets.

Popuppixie and C Wissel like this.
  5. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I made my own mattresses using foam from www.foambymail.com. I have a 1 inch layer of firm foam, 2 inch layer of medium foam, 2 inch layer of latex, and a custom made mattress cover. It is night and day difference from the stock mattress. I can keep my fitted sheet and sheet on the bed but the comforter and pillows do not fit closed up. I use a bed in a bag once size larger then the mattress and tuck the extra fabric under. No big deal.

6. John2006

John2006 New Member

I got air mattresses for my bunk ends Walmart had them for cheap just make sure to buy the pump it was $15 it also sucks air out of mattresses & vacuum storage bags.

7. Bradford Smith

Bradford Smith New Member Silver Supporting Member

I agree with the air mattresses. Two twins on the king bunk fit perfect with fitted sheets. A queen on the queen bunk (of course).

As stated above, walmart has them cheap. We keep a spare twin on board in case of a leak. Ditto the air pump.

John2006 likes this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

When I bought my 99 I didn't bother replacing the mattress. It was still in good condition, I gave it a wipedown and aired it out in the sun for a day. I put a topper on it and a waterproof mattress cover, all good to go.

9. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

3 inch factory, 3 inch gel foam, and waterproof bag. 2007 Jayco Select 12HW 17A981AC-F557-41B0-B43F-376551C17EB0.jpeg

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Popup camper and hybrid beds get wet from screw ups with windows to condensation. You need a vapor barrier.

11. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

2001 Coleman Niagara. My mattresses are too thin. I'm debating 3" topper vs replacing mattresses with air mattresses and the 3" topper. According to the kleenex box I can fit 3-4". If I can't then I should be able to swap for air matreses and deflate the mattresses when striking camp.

Heck! I just don't know right now.

12. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

Does the Sleep Number store make mattresses for these?

13. Steveo4090

Check out the foam factory's options. With what a memory foam topper costs, it may come close to a new mattress from them.

14. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

Do you mean with one of their toppers 4" thick with a cover?

15. Steveo4090

No, I meant with what a topper costs you could probably get a whole new mattress made by the foam factory and skip the topper.

16. Jasonduf

Jasonduf New Member

I am replacing our mattresses with 4” foam because I couldn’t find a replacement that fit right. I’ll have to cut the foam and would like to put a washable cover on it. I worry that a custom cover with a zipper is cost prohibitive to have made and I don’t sew. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mattress cover?

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

. I have a king size mattress and bought a queen mattress protector that just slips on like a sheet. Only my corners are not as protected which I was OK with. I probably could have bought a king and just tucked

18. Bradford Smith

Bradford Smith New Member Silver Supporting Member

We went with the Walmart air mattresses. As said above, two twins fit the King end and keep a spare. Use fitted King sheets or flat sheets and tuck. Power inflator is a must. No problems with clearance, water barriers and there's a Walmart on the way to or from almost everywhere. I think we paid $8.00 or so for the twins and a little more for the queen.

19. Whitney Hubert

Whitney Hubert New Member

Just wanted to come on here and thank the people who suggested The Foam Factory! I'll be buying from them for sure, I had no idea they existed. Definitely seems like a good compromise for a budget mattress replacement!