Replacing tires, replace spare as well??

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by 9000rpm, Dec 31, 2018.

1. 9000rpm

9000rpm New Member

We have a 2015 Starcraft Aframe popup (1232) that we purchased new that is approaching 5 years old. I'm planning on changing the tires on it soon. No issues with them, but it's my understanding that tires should be replaced at 5 years. (ST17580R13)
    Should I change the Spare as well?? It has never been used and has a cover on it. Spare mounted on rear of camper, camper always garaged when not in use.
    Thanks!!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Since it's been covered the whole time, I would change it out at maybe the 8 year mark. But if you have to use it at some point before than, don't use it for more then a year.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I agree, it's probably ok for a little while longer if it doesn't have any miles on it AND you intend to use it strictly as a spare until you can get a new replacement tire on the mains ASAP. It should be fine for a get me home, IMHO.

4. 9000rpm

9000rpm New Member

Sounds good! That's what I was hoping for. If I were to use the spare, it would be replaced as soon as possible.
    Thanks again!

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'd check it in comparison with the other tires and keep the one in the best condition for the spare. Sometimes the spare that's never been used is in worse shape than the 5 year old tires that have been used.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

When I change tires out, I usually take the best old tire and make it the new spare. However I do change my tires about every two years.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I didn’t change my spare when I changed my tires but figured it is going to be used strictly as a spare. Long enough to get me home or to a tire shop and can replace the tires. I’ve peeked in the cover to make sure it’s not completely flat and to ensure no dry rot but that tire is now going on the 9 year mark according to the date stamp so im going change it this year. Thankfully I never had to use it myself. Had a camp neighbor who told me a story when he took his rig out. His spare like mine was never used and was well older than his other tires. Well his tires were 5 years old on his RV but figured they would be good enough for his trip and he would replace them when he got back. Well he had a blow out enroute he put the spare on and continued on his trip. Well his spare only made it to the campground gate when it went completely flat and would not hold air again. Although he didn’t see any obvious signs of a puncture. He unhooked got the tire replaced and continued to his campsite. On his way back home after his trip he had another blow out. So to say, he decided to replace the other three tires and a new spare right then and there.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Radials seem to last longer, but you still need to inspect them for tread wear and cracking over the years. If you decide to change the tires on the axle(s) then it would probably be a good idea to change the spare as well.