Reporting on Omnia and Wonder Pot baking

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by kitphantom, Oct 22, 2021.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have been baking with both of the stove top ovens this season. I have been doing brownies and quick breads Most have been Krusteaz and Ghiradelli mixes. Next season, I'll probably try doing some savory dishes.
    I've baked on my single burner propane Coleman burner, the 425 and 413 white gas Coleman camp stoves, and inside the travel trailer on the LP stove it has. They each bake slightly differently. I just have to pay attention to adjusting the burner. Windy weather outside also has an effect on burner adjustment. Baking inside on a cold day made sense, not wasting the heat put off by the oven.
    I used parchment paper with spray oil the first few times, but finally tried it without it, and just the spray did fine for brownies.
    These have been a good addition to the cooking supplies, especially for our 1-2 week trips. Over the winter, I hope to try some savory dishes; they both work fine on our home gas stove. We changed the handles on them to Dutch oven knobs I found on Amazon, which are easier for me to grab with a potholder. The original ring style handle on the wonder oven tended to get jammed in the chimney of the bottom when stored for travel.

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Your supose to take pictures of the food! Lol. [:D]

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’m curious how it works myself. A Dutch oven bakes by putting coals mainly on top than bottom. It sounds like for this you don’t need heat on top. What kind of magic does this use? :grin: Sounds like it is working well for you. I’d be curious to hear how it does with other foods, but honestly breads are quite difficult to bake evenly if it was a Dutch oven so it sounds like you put it through a good test. Enjoy!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. kitphantom

The ovens have a central chimney, so the heat from the burner rises up to the lid and over the food. That means that everything is ring shaped. Apparently, the Wonder Pot was developed in the Israel, back in the 50s-70s, many homes didn't have an oven. These "ovens" are also similar to the potato baker top of stove pans that I remember from my childhood.
    I had planned to use my DOT thermometer to keep tabs on the temperature, but I discovered that I could gauge it well enough with my hand, after 50+ years of baking experience.
    This is a batch of brownies baked in the Wonder Pot.

Attached Files:

jmkay1, Susan Premo and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Like a bunt cake pan.

6. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

A friend realized he still had his mother's vintage "Ovenette" for stove top baking. He brought it along a couple times when he was traveling with us and made breakfast biscuits once and a chocolate cake for desert one night. He just used it on a single burner propane camping stove. (although it was a little tippy since it was the kind of burner that just stands on a 1 lb. tank.)
    [​IMG]

I just saw there's a Facebook group devoted to using them.
    https://www.facebook.com/Ladies-Ovenette-Society-1948405232124299/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    kitphantom, Sjm9911 and Susan Premo like this.
  7. kitphantom

The Ovenette is one of those things I hope to stumble across one of these days, not that I really "need" one.

8. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Yeah, for fun I think I might keep an eye out for one when I'm checking out Goodwill and local thrift stores.

kitphantom likes this.
  9. kitphantom

I found something called a cake stripping knife that has been extremely handy for these, as well as baking at home. Essentially a tapered plastic do-hicky, it loosens the edges nicely.

10. Karey

Karey Member

There's also an Omnia facebook group. I joined it cuz I have an Omnia. https://www.facebook.com/groups/143800689351894/about. Since you want to see photos ... I'll look and see what I have. All I can find is a pizza I made. No pics of the crescent rolls, or biscuits, brownies, or bread.

Attached Files:

11. kitphantom

I 'm in two FB groups, they are interesting to read. There doesn't seem to be one for the Wonder Pot, perhaps it has been around too long to be "fresh" and not long enough to be vintage (although the cookbook I've seen listed from time to time is from the '70s, which now seems to be vintage)
    Both have done very well for me. I don't bother with the silicone liner, I bought that mostly to use for some savory dishes, such as ones with tomato in them, which I don't care to do in most aluminum. The WP has a slightly larger capacity, and is shaped so it makes the same brownie mix come out a bit taller.