Reserve America Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Nascar Fan, May 24, 2010.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We had to cancel our trip to Four Mile Creek SP over the 4th of July due to family obligations. Reserve America cracks you for $9 to make the reservation and then cracks you another $9 to cancel. DW sent FMC SP a nastygram. Never will use Reserve America again no matter what. What a ripoff. I could understand if we cancelled at the last minute, but we didn't......................................... [:(O]

2. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

Yeah, they've sucked my wallet dry a couple times. Once you make the reservation they've got you ...

3. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

I tend to check online with RA and then call the CG direct. I hate paying more for making their job easier!

4. nuthouseinva

nuthouseinva Portsmouth, Virginia

They will typically let you reschedule your reservation for another weekend at no additional charge.

5. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

But you can't do that everywhere. Last year I went to a state CG that I used to camp a lot at years ago, back then you could not make a reservation at all. You got there early in the morning and got in line. Las year I was told in MA State Parks, they only reserve/book campsites through Reserve America, and they gave me the number, I ended up going someplace else instead though.

6. jjdube

jjdube New Member

If you can, use Recreation.gov. I never have to pay fees. But I know there are different CG's on both sites...

7. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I have used recreation.gov but I think they are only for federal campgrounds not state, and the OP was referencing a state CG.

8. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I've actually rescheduled trips a few times. One time I just picked a date just to keep the reservation "on the books." When I finally decided when I could go, I made another change to the desired date.

9. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Maybe that's why the state of Texas is now using their own reservation system. I haven't tried it though. I use recreation.gov to reserve federal parks. Haven't had any problems.

10. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

The new Texas system is great. Easy to use and no fees. Great deal.

11. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

can't access Reserveamerica reservations. Always told that I do not havean account; even when I am signed in on their site. Sent a clip of sign in screen showing I was signed in, no response. PIA to have to call to make reservations when computer there.

12. gzbugkiller

gzbugkiller New Member

You guys got spoiled. Here in Ontario, not only both fee were charged, they even charged 50% of camping fee for first night. [:(!]

13. campingtwins

campingtwins Upstate NY

I hate that!! the only time I use RA is if Its a busy holiday weekend otherwise We always do walk ins to the state parks... state parks always keep some sites open for walk ins.. you dont have to pay any fee that way..

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Let me tell you Reserve America is not only easier to use but they don't plunder and rape you like Ontario Parks do... like was mentioned, $9 to reserve online, $12 to reserve over then phone. $9 to cancel plus up to 50% depending on how far in advance you cancel. Plus another $9 to change the reservation ($12 over the phone).

Now if you have never used Ontario Parks online there have been big changes made this year and it has gotten worse.. I'll take RA any day of the week...

15. rednekprechr

rednekprechr New Member

Unfortunately, some campgrounds are fully reservable, so there are no walk in sites available.

16. jjkach

jjkach New Member

If you want a site at a state park down here , RA is the only way to get a site reserved, especially if you want one and you have to book 11 months in advance.

17. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I just used RA to set up two campsites on a trip down 101 on the west coast. One in Oregon and one in the California Redwoods. Was just going to do first-come, first-served, then checked availability on the California one. Essentially there were five sites available that day, so figured I'd best use the system to reserve one. Probably would have been okay with the Oregon one, but as long as I was there, figured might as well. Charge $8 for each reservation, which is a bit pricey, but what can you do? I did notice that the rules for each state are a bit different. Also, now they charge you immediately for the reservation, as opposed to waiting until the date of the reservation.

Did run across this website last night for free campsites (mostly on federal land) that looked interesting:

http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/default.htm

18. dupreet

dupreet New Member

If you don't mind me being nosy, where are you staying in California? I spent many years growing up amongst the big trees living in Humboldt County - my mom and sister still live out that way!

19. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Guess you didn't read my earlier post, Last summer at a MA State Park, I went there and asked about a site for the following day. And I was told, they "ONLY EXCEPT PAYMENT THROUGH RESERVE AMERICA" and they gave me the number. They then told me it may be possible that they might have a site in the morning, but not before either 10:00 or 11:00, I forget which. But that you cannot wait outside the gate the way you did years ago, you must call RA after said time. Perhaps the NY State Parks always keep some sites open for walk ins, but to assume this to be the case in all State Parks, in all states, would be incorrect.

20. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

For those of you who don't know, Reserve America is not an American Company. It is based in Canada. No flames from my Canadian friends, but they don't call themselves Reserve Canada. All those fees that our State and Federal Agencies approve don't even stay in the US. It's plain wrong.