Reserve America Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Nascar Fan, May 24, 2010.

1. wyndsongsue

wyndsongsue New Member

I agree. We need to keep the business and the money in the U.S.

2. CapeBretonCamper

CapeBretonCamper New Member

With the Nova Scotia Parks reservations they charge $9 per reservation, $7 to change or cancel and if you cancel after 1pm on the day of arrival the $7 is replaced by the equivalent of a full night charge of $24 [RTM] Stinks!

3. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I'll be staying at Prairie Creek Redwoods SP. Really wanted to stay at Gold Bluffs Beach CG, which is first-come, first-served, but with only 26 sites and Prairie Creek CG almost full, decided reserving was the better idea. Probably heresy on this site, but since I'm tenting for the next couple of years, found it interesting that Prairie Creek CG is almost completely for tents and only has a couple of spots for trailers/RVs.

4. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

The bastards charged me $14.25 to make the reservation. What a scam.

5. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

$14.25? Reserve America has a set fee of $9.00 per reservation (& then $9 if you cancel) - who/what did you get charged a $14.25 fee for???

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Christine,

The fees RA charges depend on the agreement with the State/Province they have. Some are different and some cancellation/change fees are different as well.

Lou

7. TKnecht

And you $9.00 people are p*ssed off! Ha!

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I guess as long as no one complains it will never change. How many members do we have on the portal, 17,000+, that is a pretty loud voice. Just my [2C]

9. TKnecht

Yeah, one season of us all staying home in Camp Driveway, and they might listen.

They're going to push and push and push on prices and gouge us every chance they get. We campers have had it too good for too long, and the greedy bastards are just beginning to invent ways of raping us.

Tuckahoe State Park in Maryland raised its non-electric prices 25% from last year to this year. TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT. And this damned Reserve America reservation fee on top of that. Pretty soon it WILL be cheaper to stay in a motel.

Okay, thanks for letting me rant...........

10. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

It would appear someone strongly agrees with this 'theme'

I didn't realize the fees varied from park to park or region to region - it doesn't cost more to process a reservation from one park to another, so I'm more on board with the 'scam' thinking :)

"Reserve America Sucks the Joy out of Camping"

http://www.reserveamericasucks.com

11. TKnecht

"Reserve America Sucks the Joy out of Camping"

True; also, just the first three words.

12. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Don't forget the A/C cover!

Wow... reading all these posts, I can't believe all the trouble people have with RA. We've been using it since 2008 and have never had any issues at all. I've never paid $9 for a reservation either (is that only for cancellations?)
    I like RA... I can put in the dates then view a map of the CG we frequent to choose sites we like.

13. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

As an update to my RA reservations, they went well without any problems. I was quite glad to have made them, as both parks were full when I arrived. The system allowed me to see how many sites were still available for the dates I wanted and make the decision as to the necessity of reserving a site. So in this case, RA worked well for me. By the way, the transaction fee for both the Oregon and the California state parks was $8.00, not the $9.00 everyone is mentioning. Reading the paperwork, looks like, as said before, it depends on what RA has negotiated with each state.

When checking in to Elk Prairie SP, I stopped at the visitor center first. A Canadian woman and her daughter were inquiring as to the availability in the park. They were informed to check with the campground check-in post, which I arrived at just before them. They were able to get a one night stay in the park for a site that was empty until the next day. Moral of the story is it never hurts to ask if you don't have a reservation.

14. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I have never had a problem with Reserve America either. However, I do pay the $9 fee with every reservation. But at $12/night in the SP in MA you are still only paying $33/ week end where at a private CG that may be just enough to get you one night....

15. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

I've used them for reservations for VA and SC state parks. (NC state parks don't go through RA.) Quite honestly, I don't mind their surcharge. It seems each time I reserve through them I've been eligible for a magazine subscription. And the different subscriptions are fine by me!

16. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Everywhere wants their share of the pie...

The problem in my area and the surrounding 200 miles:

1) If they are FCFS (first come first serve), people drop off a tent or camper or multiple lawn chairs or whatever to "hold it" for 1-2 weeks just so they can camp there the one or two nights, these types generally tying up at least half the CG. When the CG only has 12-20 spots, there is only 5-10 people actually camping at any given time. Unless you happen to get there within 10-15 minutes of someone leaving AND another camper has not already jumped into that spot to "hold it", you can get a spot. We may have to do that for Labor Day weekend at Hurricane Lake, but we usually go up Wednesday to hold it for 3 nights, Fri, Sat and Sun if anything is available.

2) Usually the only way we can get a decent CG and spot in the timeframe we want is to use RA. The recreation.gov only has ones on the coast which we do not like or want, or are more then our limit of 2 hours away. I have noticed some CGs are actually listed on both RA and rec.gov websites...

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

The reason for the different rates from State to State or Province is that that fee of $9 for most of us in New England is not all of it. They take a fee from the State /Province as well. I haven't found out how much it is, but I'd bet that seeing that $14 plus rate, that they charge at least $15 for the reservation between what they collect from campers and the States.

18. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I don't mind paying the fee. Its cheaper for the state/prov to use RA then to have there own people to do it. Also rec.gov and RA is the same company just different areas they cover.

19. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I have used them and it doesn't bother me to pay a fee.
    I will not drive to a CG only to find it full. Then what are you going to do? Drive somewhere else hoping to find a site? What if you don't find a site? Drive home? How much time and gas will that cost?
    I have wanted very badly to go to Timothy Lake for a weekend. Guess what? Virtually every reservable site has been reserved for the entire summer! I will not drive 2 hours hoping to get a walk-in site and find that there are none available.
    It is very inexpensive insurance when you consider the investment you have made in plans.
    It is simply part of the cost of doing business.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've been using the reservation services for years, and figure having a reservation is well worth the the service fee - way less than the time, gas, and nerves spent if we head someplace that tends to fill up. Over the past 10-15 years, it has become more difficult to find a spot in areas we camp. Many of our regular areas are 5-8 hours away, so we prefer to do FCFS only when necessary.