Reserve America Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Nascar Fan, May 24, 2010.

1. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

I wonder if the service fee varies with the camp ground. I used RA for the first time last week, and I was only charged $5 for a service fee. It doesn't really bother me. I got to pick the site I wanted and not have to worry about what might be left when I got there. A lot of services have a fee like that, I'm getting used to it. :)

2. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

These practices are everywhere. For instance, yesterday I called the PA State Parks call center, which is actually in Maryland. [:(!] [:(!] It is a Spherix call center. All I wanted to do is change my site at Clear Creek in October from site 39 to site 34. I even checked before I called to make sure it was available, so I did half their job for them.

The outcome? "Sure, that's no problem, sir. However, there will be a $10 charge for making the change." I figure that's about two buck per click of the mouse to make my change. Grrrrrr......................

3. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Reserve America is a major rip-off and they have single-handedly managed to increase the cost of camping in many areas by 30%. I will do all I can never to use their services. It's corporate greed in the worse way.

4. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

A little trick you can do if you need to cancel your reservation last minute and don't want to lose all you're money is to just reschedule and then cancel it. Then you only lose the reservation fee.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. froggie

froggie New Member

Thanks for the tip. I like being able to reserve a site in advance. We have had some really close calls in campgrounds without reservable sites. During the summer months, I try to camp during the week, but that is not always possible. Pulling into the cg after 3 or 4 on a Friday afternoon is a crapshoot at best. We had to cancel our reservations at an Arkansas state park over Spring Break because of the weather. This reservation was thru the state park, not reserveamerica or rec.gov. I lost $30 for the first night, and rescheduling would not have made a difference.

6. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

I may be way off on this, but I thought that ReserveAmarica was the result of a government contract for an online reservation system. Parks/Campgrounds get the campsite money, ReserveAmerica gets the fees ... and it's not a non-profit company.

I haven't researched enough to know why different states would have different fees ... how the contract works across federal, state, and local boundaries.

In CO, I think that the use of RA or it's cousin reservations.gov is compulsory, if you want a reservation. I'm not sure how, otherwise, you could prevent double-booking. E.g., call a remote campground and have them scribble your reservation for site 38 into their ledger ... but site 38 is still showing as open on RA.com.

Though I don't like paying $9 for a $22/night site, I have had no problems using RA or res.gov. Would be nice if the fee were a single digit percentage of your stay.

7. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Just to make everyone feel better, I have paid the service fee of $9 for a $8 dollar per night site just so I know I had it. It's the best site in the CG and if I didn't, someone else would of.

8. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We decided to go camping at the last minute once and it was too late to make reservations. So, we took a chance and went to the campground without reservations. We found a site, went to the pay station to pay our camping fees and we still had to include the "reservation fee" in the money we paid! There was no getting around it.

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Regardless of if a fee is listed specifically or not, or paid to a government agency or contractor, your still paying a fee somewhere along the line. Its eventually in the overall site price one way or another.

The thing that is not right is if you are doing a 1 night stay you should not need to pay the full $9 fee. They should have some kind of prorated formula. I would bet most reservations are 2 nights on a weekend so even if the fee was $4.50 for 1 night that would be more reasonable.

I am in the same camp with mercman, I'll gladly pay a fee to get the site I want. In PA we don't see it though as a separate fee at least in State Parks. I'm sure its buried in there somewhere.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

vjlarson: where was that?

11. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I'm curious too... I've done plenty of FCFS camping at sites that are on ReserveAmerica. Never had to pay the reservation fee when I've just shown up and taken a spot.

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Wenberg County Park... and also at Flowing Lake County Park.

13. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Wenberg and Flowing Lake must be owned by Ticketmaster, as it appears you paid a "convenience fee" to camp. [8D]

Seriously, if it's mandatory, just roll it into the price. When will these people learn that consumers feel better about paying $40 than they do $32 + $8?

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Owned by Ticketmaster? I've never heard of that and I don't think so. They are County Parks and they are both in the Reserve America system. There was nothing "convenient" about that fee. [LOL] Unfortunately, we were only going for one night, for a Shakedown trip. The thing to do is to stay multiple nights, at least, so to make the reservation fee go farther.

15. froggie

froggie New Member

At Sam Houston NF, the camp host directed us to nonreservable sites. They told us, and maybe I misunderstood, that if the reservable sites were reserved thru res.am, we would be booted off of our site. [?:~{]

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

we don't make to many reservations. But when we know were going to a place that is going to fillup, we do pay the fee. Long before there was reservations at SP and national CG's, I have waited in an overflow parking lot for a day or two. It sucks, $9 sounds real good when you camping in a parking lot.

17. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I have no problem paying a fee to reserve and/or cancel. For MA parks at least, msot of the sites are $8-12 per night for MA residents, and $14 for out of state. If there was no fee for reserving (which pays ReserveAmerica for their services), the cost of the sites would need to be higher. I'd also rather pay a $9 fee than show up to the campground without a site (same as tenttrailer mentioned). For me, the convenience of knowing I have my site many months in advance, I'm fine with it.

It is a bit more painful, however, when a site is $30+ per night, and then a fee tacked on.

18. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

My brother came to camp near us and made reservation through them. He couldn't make it the first night and called to cancel it. They said he had to cancel the whole reservation for $8 and then re-register for another $8 (on top of his original $8 fee to register). He asked if he could just leave his original reservation and not show up the first day. They said he would have to be there by 10am the next morning or the park would cancel him as a "no show" and could give his site away. Since he couldn't make 10am, he had to go through their ridiculous re-registering process. Seems ridiculous they couldn't just make a note in the system.

19. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

RA will never make those adjustments, but we have had this happen and just called the park. Not a problem at all. They didn't refund the first night, but if I called beforehand (I called the night before I was to arrive, as well as the day of arrival) and let them know I'd be missing that first night, they weren't giving away the site. That could vary by park, though. In my experience, RA won't ever make that change, but calling the park direct you actually speak with the guy checking you in and/or giving away the site.

20. gzank6

gzank6 Member

I am not a fan of RA. I am fine with the fees to reserve but don't get the cancellation fees too. I imagine even last minute cancellations in Calif get filled with walk in campers. I don't know who's choice it is to have to make reservations 6 months in advance for California state parks but that is ridiculous and probably helps them collect extra fees as its hard to keep dates 6 months in advance.

I don't even like the look and way their website works. Why when i search for a site does it need to show me campgrounds that are full? It used to give you more options to search by and now it doesn't I really get frustrated with their site and don't like using but unfortunately you have little choice. I do find myself trying to use other campgrounds such as city or county facilities or federal through recreation.gov just to not deal with RA.

they remind me way to much of ticketmaster.