Reserve America Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Nascar Fan, May 24, 2010.

1. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

NC state parks now use RA. We think it works well and is a simple system. We like the fact that we can reserve the sites we want, provided we beat others to them. Here in our state, they charge $3/night for a reservation. So if you want to stay only one night, you only pay $3 for the reservation part. But if you want to stay a week, then you pay much more for the reservation privilege.

Non-electric sites are $17, and W/E sites are $22. So you end up paying $20 and $25/night respectively. We always reserve W/E sites, so we just know it is $25/night to camp in NC parks.

I do like having pictures of every site, as well a description of the length, grade, etc. We have a 26' TT, so we try to avoid sites that are steep up or downhill.

I would have to go look at the site, but I think it is a flat fee of $10 to cancel a reservation, regardless of how many nights you had reserved.

2. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

It's the Ticketmaster of the camping world. I forget how much it is in MN.

3. gzank6

gzank6 Member

I'm a little less unhappy with RA today, after I got an alert that a site opened up at a beach campground this weekend. I forgot I had set the alert and it was a nice surprise. Now we can camp at the beach 4 days out when usually you have to reserve it 6 months in advance or chance showing up and finding a no show.

Surely someone cancelled a last minute trip, so they get paid the $8 res fee, got hit with an $7.50 cancellation fee and i reserve the spot hours later and pay the $8 res fee, so they collected $23.50 for one two night stay. These beach campgrounds are very close 100% full from May through September from Pismo to the Mexican border, they are making a bundle. Not only that, they are $10 to $20 higher for non-hookup sites over most other campgrounds and hook ups are even more. Beach front sites are even more on top of that. That i know is the state though.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Just don't even get me started [:(!]

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

WE don't make reservations except CG's that we know will be full or special weekends.

So far this year we have only made 1 reservation out of a total of 6 CG's. Next trip 6/13 planned with no reservations. For weekend 2 day trip, Reserve America charge ends up being around 17%. That to much to give someone for making reservations. If you cancel the reservations its another 17%. If you cancel in to short of a period it's 50%, plus the 17% up front.

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Are you sure they're Canadian? Look at this: http://www.reserveamerica.com/contact.do all the way down.

There address is:

ReserveAmerica Headquarters
    ReserveAmerica
    18 Division Street, Suite 213
    Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
    USA

7. gzank6

gzank6 Member

So after getting my last minute spot and reserving it... guess what. .. something else comes up. A real opportunity. .. I got to go free to the bear grylls survival academy in Yosemite so we canceled out beach trip ... state makes another cha-ching on us and we go to Yosemite. But totally worth it the trip and experience was awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

If you look at my post which was in July of 2010 (quoted by you), there have been changes of ownership of reserveamerica.com and recreation.com.
    It's now owned in 2014 by Active Network.
    If you look at their offices list, you will find an Ontario, CA location that I believe was their main development site and still is a reservation center.
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/marketing.do?goto=/marketingHTML/offices.html

Here is the original info from Bloomberg.
    http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=678498

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If we are camping, we only make reservations on weekends or in major tourist areas. It is actually kind of fun doing it that way. We have taken cross country trips and S-Th night, we just wing it. With cell phones now, you can just call ahead and see if they have any open spots. It is different if you are in a high demand area, then you have to reserve or chance the trip being ruined. Personally, I like to see all campgrounds (public) have some allocation of non reservable spots that are FCFS. When you get into all reservable, they you can either get abuses of the reservation system, or they tack on a lot of fees to prevent those abuses. Of course the other option is to camp in much less busy areas where you either can't or don't need reservations.

10. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

You know that's Ontario California, right?

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nope .. Ontario Canada ... :)

Ontario
    2480 Meadowvale Blvd Suite 120
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    L5N 8M6

12. WillH

WillH New Member

LOL... I tell you one thing. I have no issues whatsoever sending a little spot of business to Canada. I am just glad reserveamerica is not operated out of India, China, or someplace like that.

I will say though that I do not think the Canadians have done near enough to make up for unleashing Byan Adams and Justin Bieber on us. Certainly these incidents fall just short of an act of war...

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We also gave you B.T.O , The Guess Who, Tom Cochrane, Rush, Trooper, SteppenWolf, The Band, Shania and many more ...

Since the USA didn't win Gold in either the Women's or Men's hockey at this years Olympics you not only have to keep Bieber but also Celine .... [:D] [:D] [LOL] [LOL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAoTlZw86o

14. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

[LOL] [LOL] Too funny! Ya, I'm not admitting that Bieber is from Canada.

15. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I don't understand why it cost more to use an automated system. Real businesses know that automation saves them money.

Now the cancellation fee, I totally understand. They need to do that to discourage people from reserving a bunch of sites and then canceling.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't mind the reservation fee, we count it as the cost of assuring a campsite when/where we want one. IIRC, recreation.gov now seems to have folded the reservation fee into the camping fee, so it isn't obvious it is there. Even with automation, there is overhead. Most systems permit reservations up to 4 days in advance, and since there are always cancellations, changes, etc., there is communication between the reservation service, the entity operating a campground and those with feet on the ground in the campground.
    This year, there have been communications to us about reservations that we have. One was an automated phone call, the other email, both notifications that fire restrictions are in place for those CGs.
    Quite a few of the places we tend to use have multiple levels, for example US Forest Service campgrounds that are operated by a concessionaire. Some are on both recreation.gov and reserveamerica.com, up to a point; some you get to the actual reservation process and it sends you to the other reservation site.
    We been making reservations since the days of calling a 1-800 number and always needing to talk to an actual person. They were always helpful, but being able to see the campground map online is a lot handier than the reservation person trying to describe the location of the sites available, when we could even pick sites. Some of the campground guides have had maps, but not all of them.

We also understand the cancellation fee, and understand we'll pay it if we need to cancel, for whatever reason. On a couple of occasions we have been delayed on the road. A call to the campground phone number provided in the reservation confirmation has worked well. [At North Rim of Grand Canyon, it is 100% reserved in high season and there are always people trying to find campsites, the park could have said 'too bad" we'll have someone in your spot. I explained vehicle trouble, and they said," thank you for calling, your site will be here and stay safe".] We still needed to pay for the campsite the night before we ended up arriving, but that's less hassle and money than trying to cancel and begin again.

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Another trip with no reservations. In driving through the CG, I think we got either the 1st or second best site out of the 270+ sites.

So far this year we saved $32 in reservations fees and had great flexibility with our dates.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Someday, we'll probably go back to not reserving as much. For now, it works best for us, partly to eke as much camping and hiking time out of DH's vacation schedule. Then there's the issue that we often drive 5-8 hours to get to a campground, so cannot get there in time for good FCFS choices.
    For a number of reasons, on two of our upcoming trips, we'll be leaving mid-afternoon and pulling in between 7 and 9 p.m. - not our favorite, we like to be set before supper. Reservations make that possible.

I did do FCFS last month, and got a beautiful site in Chiricahua NM. However, in late morning, it was one of about 2 open that I could fit the pup into.

19. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I don't normally have an issue with R/A as they treat me pretty good and the few times I've had a glitch they worked it out on the phone.

20. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Lots of different threads could come from this one:

One member said they do not pay fees on Rec.gov... we have been using it for 8 years and always pay a reservation fee... they also charge a cancellation fee. You can change dates free of charge.

As for ReserveAmerica being Canadian... I did some research and yes it is based in Canada. But there is a reason this Canadian company acts as the largest online reservation system for campers... they pioneered it! They have been and are still considered to be the best in the business. They only have one office in Canada and 6 offices in the US. I would say all those jobs are definitely keeping a lot of the money made in the US! It could have been a lot worse... perhaps located in India?!

Not using an online reservation system is almost impossible if you want to stay in a park that usually busy and full most of the time. It is a dog eat dog world... two years ago we stayed in a site on Memorial Day weekend. We booked it in January. While camping that weekend a guy came into our site and asked "How did you get this site? We always get this site on Memorial Day weekend!" It was like we stole it... needless to say he booked it earlier via a reservation site for this past Memorial Day weekend.