Reserve America Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Nascar Fan, May 24, 2010.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here is another ... Again Canadian based, with an office in Michigan ....

http://www.camis.com/Products.aspx#customers

2. oldstick

oldstick New Member

Interesting thread. The reservations system for the GA state parks does not charge a direct fee for reservations. But they do charge the first night on your card which you can reschedule, but not cancel at the last minute. Not sure what system it is. But all the above might help explain why most of the GA parks have jumped from 10-15 to 25-30 per night very rapidly over the last few years.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have used RA since they first started and have never had a problem. I canceled one time just prior to a trip and as stated on the web site. We were charged the cancellation fee and I knew it was coming as I understood this at the start and paid the fee,once I left a campground a day early due to an emergency and they refunded the days charge.

4. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

I made reservations on reserve.gov a couple of days ago. There is now an $8 fee to use them.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Last year 26 nights under the stars and only 6 were with reservations. 2 with RA for rally, 2 with another rally and there was no reservation fees, and 2 more with RA when I missed read the available CS and made reservations that I did not need.

I hate spending money to make reservations.

6. froggie

froggie New Member

I use them for booking busy parks and have never had a problem. $8 is not much for the perfect site at the perfect place, to me, anyway. Booking through Arkansas State Parks is more expensive if you have to cancel. We backed out of a trip due to ice and snow, and I lost the cost of a whole night's stay. I called them several days before the trip, but it still cost me $20+. No refund. No exchange.

7. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I personally love the system. IL just went online with it a few of years ago and it is great. Making reservations in IL was such a pain because you couldn't do it online. Some states sties are easier to navigate than others. I am not for any more government interaction by any means, but I wish all states could be on this system from a consistency stand point. The site is easy to use, the maps are easy to read and the reservation process is easy to do. I think the fees for reservations are based on the individual state. I know here in IL they charge a $5 reservation fee, which I will gladly pay if we have very far to drive and want a guaranteed site or want a popular weekend. I do understand the fees for cancelling and making changes when they are not last minute are frustrating though.

8. Dens97Sunridge

Dens97Sunridge New Member

You were actually able to reserve a camp site??? Out here in Calif, it is almost impossible to get a camp site along the coast or in the Sierras during the summer. Most CGs have a 6 month reservation window, meaning reservations open up 6 months in advance.
    This morning, Sun Feb 1st, i got on one computer and my wife got on another computer. We signed in before 8am (reservations for August opened this morning at 8am). We had our list of campgrounds and sites. At 8:02, the first CG was completely full. We tried other CGs, with no success. We were able to finally get a campsite to a GC that is really off the beaten trail. It is Onion Valley CG, located outside of Indepence, Ca, off hwy 395. We love the whole 395 area, so we're looking forward to it.

Has anyone been to Onion Valley CG? We'd like some feedback so we'll know what to expect.

Thanks

9. WrongWayRandall

WrongWayRandall New Member

This happens a lot with the more popular locations, unfortunately. Anything waterfront - forget about it unless you just happen to be lucky, super-popular park? same thing for any spot, even right next to the dump site [:(O]. I've run into a number of parks here in the East that are fully booked for weekends already for the entire reservation window too, so it's not just a regional issue. Things may have been different in the past, but that's how they are now (no comments from me on better/worse, to each their own opinion here.) I will say this though, I'm fine paying fees and what not for 'publicly-owned' campgrounds (state/national parks, etc.) because it keeps them open. Still, it's a pain (in the wallet) to make changes, that's for sure...

- R

[ALPU] [PUT]

10. parkyeti

parkyeti New Member

Has anyone ever reserved a campsite through Reserve America, arrived at the campground and found there are several open ones that are way more appealing? If so any idea on the process to change reserved site? I am going blindly into a campground and picked a spot based on google maps view of the campground. The entire campground is almost empty so I am hoping if the site I picked is less than desireable then I can work with the campground host to switch to a more appealing one.

Has anyone else ever been through this process? [?:~{]

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It depends on the park and/or campground and hosts. If a campground is full, or that's the policy, no changing is possible. However, we have been able to change a few times, though usually don't bother trying without a very good reason. In one case, back in the days of ground camping, we had hosts keeping an eye out for us to arrive. They had a better site for us than the one we'd picked, and were hoping to catch us in time to have us change to that site. In another, a friend and I were all set up, but a the men in a site near us were puffing so much on cigars that y friend had a major asthma attack. The hosts found us a substitute site.

12. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

This is where I've gone through for every single CG reservation we've made. It's usually a flate rate, but there is a $19 cancellation fee.

13. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

I think most, if not all, SP CG's in California now use RA. We always make reservations so we have the best site possible.
    It is very interesting trying to get the most popular site reserved at 8:AM, 6 months before your trip.
    Kind of like playing an online video game with 100's of other campers.
    If you don't have a fast computer, fast internet & fast fingers, forget about it!

I'm not as mad about the reservation fee as I am about California tripling the camping fees for SP's! [:(!]
    They said the alternative was to shut them down.

14. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

My wife says I'm wrong. They have increased the rates only 50%.

15. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We just visited Elk Prairie Creek campground for 4 nights this August. We went there with our popup trailer. We found the most of campsites are good for RV or Trailer. The Gold Bluffs Beach is horrible - you need to pass through miles long winding and dusty dirt road to get to it, which is not fun at all!