Restoring. Enamel. Dutch ovens

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by vagov, Nov 11, 2020.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a enamel 6 quart Dutch oven that gets used a lot indoors. It’s been a great pot, but periodically needs a good cleaning. I tried several methods to clean, but found using a small amount of bleach and filling it will wArm tap water and letting it sit overnight works the best in removing stains on the bottom of the inside. I’m satisfied with the outcome. However, the shiny finish has dulled over time, especially where the direct heat is. Does anybody know of a way to restore this without getting it re-glazed

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Enameled cookware wears over time. It gets thinner, chips, etc. It has a limited life. Get some cast iron.

3. vagov

It’s. Cast. With enamel finish. But. The inside bottom. Feels. Dull. Not shiny anymore. Due to heat. I assume

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It will still work fine. Its just not brand new. Its used and has character now.

Rempop likes this.
  5. David Marchetti

David Marchetti New Member

Sometimes mineral deposits are present on surfaces which lock in stains and make surfaces look dull. Starting with a clean pot, try pouring in a half inch or so of white vinegar and let it soak overnight. Use a scrub brush or similar a couple of times throughout the soaking. Then drain and wash it out. That should leave it as clean as possible. You can always let it sit for longer or do it a second time. Make sure you dont use things that are too abrasive like a stainless steel chore boy. Let me know if you try it. Thanks.

6. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK! Gold Supporting Member

Metal utensils will scratch the surface as well and dull the finish. Not using it at all is really the only way to keep it pristine, and that would defeat the purpose of having it in the first place. Soaking is one of the best and gentlest methods to clean, I scrub with a non abrasive sponge and a paste of baking soda afterwards and works well for me.

Econ and kitphantom like this.
  7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

<<Soaking is one of the best and gentlest methods to clean>>

If you have good seasoning this is a great way to clean, especially bacon residue. Don't accidentally forget it overnight unless you do.

They make credit card like scraper/cleaners. 30 minutes of soaking and one of these will get most of mine clean.

If DW has really made a mess, soak then use chain mail wrapped around a sponge.

Sorry, got 700 miles on me in the last couple days and a rough morning. Not as young as I used to be. This has to do with enamel coated not plain CI

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. vagov

Ok finally tried soaking overnight with vinegar. Didn’t really change the bottom finish , it’s definitely clean, Just not as shiny as the Sides with the original enamel finish

9. David Marchetti

David Marchetti New Member

Thanks for the feedback. At least you have a good baseline of what the actual finish is. Beyond that, I don't think you can improve it without actually going through polishing grits. But, I bet it looks great when it's full of food! ; )