Restoring our first camper, 76 Porta-cabin. What have we gotten in to..

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by vade11, Mar 2, 2017.

1. vade11

vade11 New Member

Hello All. My husband and I have purchased our first pop up camper. It is a 1976 Porta-cabin. From the very limited info I found online, this brand of camper seems to be a rare breed. We were lucky enough to find one in pretty good original shape. We even found a file in the camper that has the first owners purchase slips and brochures from the dealer they bought it from. On the surface, it looks like we aren't going to have a whole lot to do to this camper before we can get her back to beautiful. I posted in the floor and roof section of the forum with my laundry list of questions about repairs for anyone who might be knowledgeable about older pop ups. I've been busy lurking here and trying to soak up information as I go. Here are some pictures of our new camper [:D]

Attached Files:

KaptainKrrrk, phoodieman and JPBar like this.
  2. vade11

vade11 New Member

Included with our pop up is it's original 20 foot canopy for outside (poles pictured). It's really heavy. Im debating on sewing up a new one with modern sunbrella fabric so it's lighter and easier to use. I almost can't believe that this camper is in such great shape. I have big plans to keep the yellow interior and update it with mushroom and gnome print fabrics to match. Cannot wait to take go camping.

Attached Files:

3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That's a great looking p'up, considering it's age! Can't wait to follow your progress. [MOD]

While I appreciate your plans for material, please consider saving the original "Spirit of 76" fabric. It's just too cool to not have it later, considering the significance of a 1976 p'up and America's bicentennial. Even if you don't plan to ever re-use it, just consider saving it.

Really cool camper! :)

4. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

Very nice camper considering the age. I agree with belchfire, the "spirit of 76" fabric just adds to the nostalgia. It is what i like about that camper.

Awesome find!

5. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

That thing is awesome. I hated our manual lift pup [LOL]
    How well does it raise / lower? You have a good 10 years on my manual lifter and it's probably just as rusty.
    When I was at the dealer for our new one they were asking about our current situation and they weren't aware that they used to be like this.

6. vade11

vade11 New Member

I plan to keep it as original as possible. I want to make some slip covers for the cushions and keep the vintage covers under them so that we don't ruin them. There isn't a single hole in any one of them. I also want to keep the yellow floor and yellow cabinet fronts too. Thinking about painting out the wood grain. In the cabinets there is an old box tv complete with it's remote [:D] I included my fabric choices for this so that you can see, we are definitely keeping the 70's spirit in this one.

It raises and lowers just fine it's just SUPER heavy. I definitely can't get more than one end up on my own. But I'm a skinny little lady. The poles are solid so my plan is to remove the rust and paint them with some heavy duty tractor paint because it's really thick and loaded with rust preventative. It would be nice to re chrome, but definitely not in budget.

Attached Files:

7. RoseTheJinx

RoseTheJinx New Member

I love your fabric choices @vade11 . I am going with a garden gnome & flamingo theme. I saw that same fabric on Ebay when I was looking. Although I opted to go with a different gnome material.

8. vade11

vade11 New Member

Thanks :D I'm really loving it. Finally finished our roof so I started on the inside. I found "airstream" curtain tabs on Amazon that will fit this camper. Started my curtain panels last night.

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Wow that is cool camper!!!

10. vade11

vade11 New Member

We finished our pup! Went out for our first camping trip this weekend and had a great time!

11. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Cant wait for pics! Neat camper!

12. karley020

karley020 Member

I would totally embrace the 70's theme of that camper, great find!

13. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Active Member

Wow ! Those fabrics are amazing! I like your idea of just covering them, but I really like the originals too.
    Your canvas looks like amazing shape.
    I looked into Sunbrella for an awning but found this too that I may use because it is cheaper per yard and I don't like patterns. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/marine-canvas