Retiring white fuel lantern and stove?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by mdcamping, Jul 20, 2019.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Okay, Both my lantern & stove which are 50 years old are in need of replacement. They work but it's getting old fixing continued problems.

Thinking of going over to propane on both. Looking for something reliable and LOW maintenance to get me buy for the next 15 years.

Should I stick with the white fuel or go to propane?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I suspect that most will tell you to go with propane. It is LOW maintenance and pretty easy. I stick to white gas because one gallon lasts me a month and you don't have to dispose of propane cylinders. I don't use a lantern.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

4. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We get tired of throwing disposable propane tanks into the garbage. White gas cook stoves work fine for us, but we also use camp fires for cooking some items. We go more than a year per gallon of white fuel and use a gas lantern in the fall. We also use LED battery lights.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    kitphantom likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

7CC0C121-9835-4D82-ACE5-8DC113D8845C.jpeg Went back to white gas when I picked up this stove at a yard sale. Just something about these older Colman stoves and lanterns that I missed. I’d be hitting a flea market. There are always a bunch for sale. Find One that’s 25 years old and camp on!

Arlyn Aronson, Orchid and kitphantom like this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We still prefer our white gas Coleman camp stoves - we have 3, one from the '60s one from the '80s and another from the early '90s. We have both white gas and propane Coleman lanterns, and I prefer the white gas one. I don't like dealing with the small canisters, though it's possible to run either off a 20# if you want to. Because of the pressure differential as the canister empties, getting an even flame is not as easy with the 1# canisters as with a larger tank. Friends have a 5# tanks for their cook stove, and we now use a 20# one when we take the propane campfire.
    By sticking with white gas for both front country and back country stoves, we can carry one can to refill both (we also cook on the inside stove, which is LP).

Why do yours need to be replaced? Most of the issues with Coleman can be solved by maintenance and replacing some parts, such as generator, leather cups, etc. I have to admit I haven't been as impressed with newer stoves of any brand, dual fuel or LP. (While we've had the same stoves for 30 seasons of camping, our friends are on their third or 4th one, they really like their new one which has an optional grill one one side, but I don't remember which brand it is. It is LP, since the wife got flashed (no injury, just surprise) when she used a match to a white gas stove years ago, and won't use one anymore, though she would use an electric ignition one until they bought their first LP stove. I've had a couple of scary episodes with our LP lantern so it's not high on my own list.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Would you mind elaborating on this, please?

My DH and I are split on this, so we own both. I only use white gas and he only uses propane. We have stoves and lanterns of each kind.

I have always liked white gas as the smell and pumping are a part of my camping experience since childhood. I never saw any reason to change things. I became more convinced of my choice after my DH acquired propane appliances. The stove cannot maintain low heat without going out. I have tried cooking on it, and always end up becoming annoyed.

Also, a couple of years ago, we had several of those little canisters that wouldn't stop leaking. It was all on the same trip and I believe there were 3 of them! After being removed from the appliance, they continued to hiss out propane. It was very scary for me. I put them on a concrete structure across from our site (not near any sites) to let them empty themselves.

As a side note, while I'm not a fan of the little bottles of propane, or the inability to regulate heat well on propane stoves, I do like propane for some things. We have a propane fire pit that is awesome! We use it with a large, refillable tank that rides on our trailer hitch.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. tombiasi

The op asked for suggestions on a propane stove. I gave him one. Myself, I have a dozen ways to cook or boil water. I will list them if anyone is curious.
    I didn’t think was looking for reasons why propane is no good.

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

The OP asked “ should I stick with white fuel or go to propane” and I gave my opinion

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We still like to hang up a couple of these oil lamps on both sides of the camp site and let them burn all nite with a real low setting... They really cast a shadow in the middle of the night when something is walking thru the camp site. We did this a lot back in our tent camping days and it just seemed to carry over camping with POPUP camper... I use one of those tree hangers...

[​IMG]
    google image

I retired my really bright coleman light a long time ago...

I realize this has nothing to do with cooking haha - just made me think of my old lights from years back of camping...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. tombiasi

OK valid point.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Please accept my apologies.

@kitphantom , please feel free to PM me the info about the lantern incidents, so I don't subject others to the info. We often camp with grandchildren, so I like to be informed of any and all safety precautions or potential problems.

We have pretty much switched to LED lantern when the kids are with us now, but still very curious.

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have both white gas and propane stoves. I love my white gas stove and it as works well as the day I bought it 25 yrs ago. I have a propane stove that I got to replace my high pressure out door stove on my camper. I just attach the hose to my high pressure port and the other end to the stove where 1lb bottle would go. Works great.

Which is better? I love the sound of the white gas stove but I love the convenience of my propane stove and not carrying extra fuel. With a camper, I’d go propane.

However, we each love what we like. If you want to switch do so, but don’t get rid if the white gas unit. If you find you hate cooking on propane, you can always go back.

My lanterns are all white gas...

14. tombiasi

I don’t see why you would need to apologize

15. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

This is one of my favorite subjects!
    Back from 2 wks to Colorado and we learned this: Both are useful. Have Stansport adapter allowing me to run propane through Coleman Dual Fuel stove. Propane faster and more convenient and no need for turning down valve when yellow flame disappears, which we always forget. Have watched youtubes on refilling green bottles, and have Schnazzle, and have had good results, with no leaks. New propane stove may have magneto ignition which would be a "nice to have" on current stove. I run "PLUS" grade gas, and a gallon of that lasted more than the whole trip. We did not even take our Coleman Dual Fuel lantern this trip as we are using cheapie LED light which are giveaways from Harbor Freight. They are amazing. Most nights on this trip were without electric. (A bit off topic, but we carry a Mr. Buddy Portable heater.)

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

FYI. You can get battery operated dimmable LED versions of these now. I have a bunch in various colors. They work great and dim down very nice.

Orchid and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I have a Stansport Propane double mantle lantern that's almost 10 years old. It gets bounced around in the storage compartment but keeps working like a champ.

If you opt to retire the lantern and don't want it any more, I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

18. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Go LED for the lantern. I just got back from a four week road trip that cost me about $20 in mantles for the lantern; much more than the value of propane that I used. The mantles these days seem to disintegrate with any amount of slight traffic.

Orchid likes this.
  19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

White gas for me.

Orchid likes this.
  20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I had 2 white gas stoves 4 lanterns. I get it. Went to propane about 10 years ago. If you use the white gas units a lot no issues. For about 20 years they worked great. But once you don't drain them because you think you are going camping again that year. The the problems start.

I took my units and rebuild them and gave the to my kids. Keep on lantern that is bone dry and have on the shelf for the last 8 year's.

Now it propane. Either 1lb bottles or the stoves are run off the the low pressure side of the camper. Some of propane lanterns have not been use in 8 years. But I certine they will work fine. If I had left white gas in a lantern for 8 years it would be a mess.