Returned from the Dark Side...

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Del Kelso, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

after 6 months of non-stop issues with a brand new Winnebago Minnie Micro, (leaky cargo doors, bad air conditioning, slider mis-alignment and leaky roof) we sold it back to the dealer for a huge loss. pretty obvious this thing was gonna be a money pit after the warranty ran out, not to mention the cost of off site storage.

just purchased a used 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley PUP, that can be easily towed by my half ton pickup while still getting acceptable MPG and stored in my garage.

Travel Trailers are great for those folks with mega trucks, you can't beat the zero setup / takedown, and i certainly respect those who choose them, but for me, i'm glad to be back in a PUP.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Been there, done that [LOL] - while popup camping is a quantum leap up from camping in a tent it is FAR less costly than committing totally to The Darkside. It's just a lesson most of us have to learn the hard way. :rolleyes:

3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Amen...If i could find someone to store all my stuff so it wasn't laying on the floor.. And set mine up and take it down
    And air it out after packing up in the rain......I would never get TT.
    They all make the occasional junker.

Ladiesman likes this.
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, but glad you are still camping!

kcsa75, RockyRoo and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Luck7s717

Luck7s717 New Member

Im thinking of going the hybrid route after this season....still not the whole way in the darkside, but setup ,teardown and storing gear is much easier.

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

My mom just bought a used hybrid after being out of the camping game for over 10yrs. I went out with her so that we could go over everything and refresh her memory on how to use the furnace/fridge/etc. Even with the tent beds, her hybrid stayed significantly warmer than my Pup. I was pleasantly surprised. The only setup she had was folding out the beds. On her model, the mattresses are attached to the platform and don't need to be stored along the main walking isle of the trailer. I've seen some that require that as the beds won't fold up with a mattress attached. This is something I could consider in the near future as my wife is getting tired of the tent material waking her up in the middle of the night if its windy. I've got more investigating to do.....

kitphantom likes this.
  7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Little late for your purposes, but wouldn't Lemon Law apply in that situation? Doesn't make sense that you had to take the loss.

8. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

lemon law doesn't apply to RV's in Missouri, but thanks for carrying enough to make the suggestion.

9. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

I "upgraded" from a Jayco 8ft popup to a 29ft TT. Pulling it was so expensive, stressful and finding a campsite with room for it such a hassle that I settled for a seasonal site. That got old after two seasons. Traded "down" to a popup. Not a perfect solution but I'm back to 13-15mpg, can set it up almost anywhere, stores in my backyard, and love sleeping in the bunk end with the breeze and sounds of nature around me.

Del Kelso and nectarsis like this.
  10. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

i couldn't agree more, but then that is why i am on the pop up portal and not the Giant Truck, Giant Camper portal. and meaning no disrespect at all to those that love bigger RV's, just not my cup of tea.