Returned from the Dark Side...

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Del Kelso, Jun 11, 2020.

1. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

With you on this... I wanted a better bed and bathroom, along with space for my family w/o using the dinette as a bed. Our 24'TT fits the bill quite nicely. It has a TV(small one) but we've almost never used it. There are definite downsides to the TT... paying for offsite parking as it does not fit in the garage, the horrible MPG towing it, and it doesn't fit in every site(but we still can find sites at most campgrounds). But it allows us to take longer trips more comfortably and is easier on my wife who didn't really like the popup. I don't see us going back to a popup anytime soon.

firepit likes this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If you were going to fulltime, you might want those things. That's why I say never say never.

As of today, I have no desire for those things. I don't want a generator, or solar, or a tv, or patio lights, etc. either. But I do realize that at some point in the future, I may change my mind about any one of those things. ;)

neighbormike likes this.
  3. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We have a plan in place...No big rigs for us...My wife isn't a big camper so it would never make sense
    for us to invest in one.
    We would spend that dough on a cabin somewhere.
    I may get her to travel somewhere for a week once in awhile
    as long as we can sight see and sleep in the camper.
    A full week just camping will never happen.
    I don't force the issue anymore as she lets me go
    anytime I want.
    Never say never is true but the odds don't look good I will
    ever roll around in a big rig.
    But I am good with that.

neighbormike and Toedtoes like this.
  4. Toedtoes

I get that. I wouldn't fulltime as I see it now. I actually really like my house and enjoy being in it. It's not big (1100 sq ft), but living in an RV is not my idea of enjoyable. Although, I actually lived in a trailer at my parent's for 6 months. It was a novelty enjoyment that wore off quickly.

A buddy of mine ended up with a 36ft DP. His SIL passed away and her husband gave it to my buddy and his wife. He ended up selling his clipper because of it. His wife pushed for the DP because it was comfortable and she would be willing to travel in it. But, it's more difficult for him to do his fishing trips due to the size. Of course, they haven't gone anywhere in it because of Covid...

firepit likes this.
  5. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

A friend of ours, our camphost, has a washing machine, it's a little camper one, a wringer, he said I could have it, I'm excited! I saw one on New Jersey outdoor adventures, on YouTube.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I say (since you all asked [LOL]) who cares what SOMEONE ELSE paid for OR financed??

DiamondGirl and firepit like this.
  7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Just curious, what does a full week of just camping mean. Never leaving the camping area? I have never done that as we always go somewhere everyday. I think that I could do that but my wife and kids always want to go do something not at the campground. It would save money because we always end up spending money when we are out even when doing free things.

8. firepit

Yep...As long it's not my money...I don't care what anybody spends.
    Don't get wrong though....If they ask my opinion i will give it as I see it.

9. firepit

We camp where there are Trails...Fishing...Swimming.
    Lots of people we know and watch seem to be in and out all day long.
    They set up and leave the campground every day in a vehicle and come back in the evening
    for a few hours and then go to bed.
    I like to get set up and stay the whole time...I don't like having to leave and do this and that.
    Rather I am around camp all day or doing things within the campground.
    To each their own I say...For me it's all about relaxing and slowing down with no obligations.

Susan Premo and 1380ken like this.
  10. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

Ours had an antenna/coax and a tv mount when we got it and I essentially scoffed at getting a 19" TV for the TT, but my wife paid for it with store credit so I couldn't complain. I'll admit it was used especially during our last trip when it rained all evening a couple times. Not that we sat down and just watched TV, more like something on in the background while we played cards and board games. Always ended up watching one of those high number TV stations that show the old shows and was a novelty for the kids to watch Flintstones and old black and white "The Munsters"

CamperMike likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

I define those as "camping" and "sightseeing camping". They each have their place. I am quite happy spending a week kicking back at a campground - doing some casual hiking on the trails, hanging out by the water, or just sitting at camp watching and hearing the wildlife. However, if I'm going to a National Park, etc, I am going to be out exploring and sightseeing rather than sitting at camp. For me, places like that are meant for sightseeing camping.

Susan Premo and Ladiesman like this.
  12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Wow, what a journey this thread has been on over the last 4 pages.

We have been in a Pup for 11 summers now, straight out of a tent (with 3 kids) for about 20 years before that. We normally have one extended stay trip per year, (3 weeks in one spot), and try to get out 1 or 2 more times as well, such as Rally, and maybe a Fall camping week. Mrs. Wrench loves to sit on the beach all day, every day. Me not so much. So I spend a few days on the beach with her, but then start heading out on my own, or if one of the kids is along, they might come with me. I love to go 'exploring' different places. I do a fair amount of Geocaching when in new areas, and try to find good fishing spots.

We pretty much only use the Pup for sleeping, and maybe hanging out in there during a super cold Sept-Oct day with the furnace going. Other than that, we are outside at the fire or beach, or out and about, but not too far away or shopping.

... and ... no, nobody kicked my hornets nest, I just don't like the word 'upgrade' when talking about moving from a Pup to a TT.

Susan Premo and Toedtoes like this.
  13. Toedtoes

I agree. Getting something different isn't an upgrade - it's getting something different. Seems the people who use the term "upgrade" for most anything are trying to justify their purchase (eg, there was nothing wrong with what I had, I just wanted something new - so I "upgraded").

Wrenchgear likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I agree. I love our PUP, but our needs have changed mostly due to the 'rona. I'm not stupid about it, but not dismissive either. I know it exist and is a threat, but I refuse to stop living for fear of getting sick or dying. In my youth I did far riskier things than going out in a viral outbreak. My wife on the other hand doesn't have any desire to get the adrenaline flowing. She does everything on the side of caution. She sees the 'rona everywhere, on everything and in everyone. I'm looking to get into a camper that we can use the toilet and kitchen for roadside or parking lot stops. I don't see it as an upgrade, but something to meet our current needs. For the time being we will keep the PUP. If the camper we eventually find works for all our camping we may sell the PUP. If it doesn't fit all our needs, we will be a two camper family.

15. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

I like hanging out in the campsite, and hiking around the trails, and swimming, but, the area that surrounds the campground is usually beautiful as well, so we do road trips, and look for other areas to hike or just to be in. Quiet is one of my priorities. Love it. Wish I could stay up all day and all night, so much to enjoy, too little time.

neighbormike likes this.