Returning my PUP to travel mode.. any OFFERINGS of last minute Helps?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by landon6062, Jun 18, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Ok I watched the video on HOW to put it UP..

Followed those instructions, wrote them down.. ... OF course, the advice is "DO everything in REVERSE MODE"..

SO much for following those Instructions..

The first thing I forgot was to remove the DOOR, which meant I had to push the bed back out.. DUH ME..

.. "they sure make that design for a TALL person, no matter.. STEPPING STOOLS help..

Everything LOOKS tucked, but then again.. I have never seen a PUP from the inside???..

I did notice the BED got caught on the "dining vinyl window".. I fixed that..

Perhaps I am suppose to do something different with the "outside "VINYL" before I DROP the top?

IF anyone has some time.. Would you have any last minute suggestions before I drop the top?

Thanks.. : )

Pictures provided..in a moment..

2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Am I good to continue with putting down the TOP?

Attached Files:

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from picture, but did you zip up the vinyl windows on the sides of camper, if not you need to. After door is up, slide beds in tuck canvas on end of beds. lower roof about 1/2 way walk around camper tucking in canvas. lower roof about 8 inches from closed position and do final walk around tucking in canvas. Close travel door and lower the top and latch the 4 corners.

landon6062 likes this.
  4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

THANK YOU for taking your time to share...sounds like good advice..

You are correct.. I left the "Vinyl over the table unzipped" got to go back and fix that.. I'll bet that is why it got stuck in the first place... ...

I was just reading over the instruction Manuel "again" and realized I needed to do that.. I didn't remember even opening that window..

Some of this stuff sounds like a foreign language to me.. LOL

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I am sure others will chime in here to give you their tips. Practice, practice, practice. You will have this down before you know it where it only takes a few minutes. Soon you will be explaining to new camper owners on how to do things.

landon6062 likes this.
  6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

"very kind of you to give me that extra boost of confidence"..[8D]

I have read and heard some horror stories of having the cloth stuck in your camper lift.

SO I wanted to be certain I was getting this right...

Some of the instructions you gave were NOT in the manual..

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Different manufactures have different ways, but most is basically the same. You will figure out what works best for you. Just remember it is not a race to see how fast you can set up or tear down. In my opinion that where things get broke, ripped, bent up or tore off. Take your time check and double check is the best advice I can give you. Each time you set up and tear down you will gain more confidence in the way you do your procedure.

I am fixing to go raise mine and put stuff in it for our next adventure from the last trip and take inventory what dry goods needs to be replaced or added, 52 days can't wait!

Katskamper, Ktrueblood and landon6062 like this.
  8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

To piggyback on what @JPBar said, the previous owner had a helpful tidbit when we bought our camper that has served us well. When you're sliding the bunk ends or dinette, cranking up or down, if you feel something catch, stop. Don't keep forcing the movement. Take a good look before proceeding.

landon6062 likes this.
  9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

While I provide the dumb muscle, my wife provides the brains and walks the perimeter, checking for mistakes, tucking canvas in where needed, two heads are better than one and a checklist helps a lot!

landon6062 likes this.
  10. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

X2 from Mrs Squid:
    Keep a close eye on the canvas when pushing in the slideout. It can get caught between the slide and the body of the camper. And remember to put up the towel bar! :)
    Good luck and enjoy!

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Is that a slide out dinette? If it is, slide goes in, pull that vinyl out, then slide bunks in and then vinyl in... bunk ends can easily catch vinyl/ canvas and tear it.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Reminds me of my DW, she always gives me the stupid (or dummy) end of a tape measure:)

DJS12354 likes this.
  13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks everyone.. I got my PUP down, and I think it is good...

Yes, Neighbor Mike, good eye, it was the dinette that was the problem.. At least I didn't push that bed in completely till I moved it.. but I do believe it would have caused problems with the TOP.

I did do everything in reverse order...but I had left that side of the dinette vinyl down and it had gotten trapped when I slide the bed in.. Ugg had to pull it out again and "close everything" including curtains..

This is one of those times where IGNORANCE isn't BLISS.. lol

Today I get the challenge of moving it about 100 ft, got to get it closer to the 30amp plug..
    What a dummy, should have checked the length of the plug first... LOL
    . thought I had to have an extension cord, turns out it is 30 ft already..

Someone might say.. EXCITED MUCH?? YES!!!

My husband is the brains and muscle in our family..

It is just that he is very busy at a Nuclear Power Plant, working LONG hours , the Plant had some problems that required his attention. I'm just trying to get a good head start so when we do have time to take a trip.. I'll already know some of the challenges and be a helps at getting some of that out of the way...

Again thank you for your helps.. I am very glad to be a part of the group [Guitar]

14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

OOps I don't remember a towel bar.. LOL I guess it is a good thing I never put it up.. : )

15. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

And I have to say, at least for me, it's infectious. [:D]

Oh, and in terms of having to move it, just think of it as a perfect opportunity to practice hitching up and testing out your hitch balls. ;)

16. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

When you're tucking in the bunk end canvas, think of like wrapping a gift. You want to eliminate as much bulk as possible so fold it kind of neatly while pushing / pulling in as far as you can. We use the bristle end of a broom to push the canvas in further to the center to take some of it away from the edges then neaten the corners. Zipping the windows closed also eliminates bulk. Sometimes I pop my upper body inside on the second tuck JPBar spoke of to further pull it away from the edges. If it's too bulky on the corners, it won't close tightly and if you force the latch.... well, bad things can happen.

17. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

There's not one in my 2008 Niagara.

landon6062 likes this.
  18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Mstrbill.. actually I did find a towel bar in mine, but it doesn't require any extra work, it just lowers with the shower wall..

I see you have a 2008, .. I believe I saw that the 2007 was the first Niagara that came with electric lift?
    I don't have that, wish I did. I'll trade the shower bar for it.. LOL

donna

19. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Perhaps, the original owner removed it. Yes the power lift is nice. But one wonders how long it will take to break, there's a few topics here about problems with the lift.