Reupholstering cushions

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Blueamy, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Blueamy

Blueamy New Member

Hi, all! I’m new here and to PUP camping, so thanks for providing this awesome resource! I just purchased a 2002 Flagstaff 208 that’s in great shape mechanically, she just looks a little dated and I’m a sucker for DIY projects. I have two small kids, so pretty AND practical is my goal.

Im planning to reupholster the seat cushions (my mom sews) and I’ll most likely have zippers sewn into the cushion covers for removal and washing. I need advice on the best fabric to use. Should I look for Sunbrella-type outdoor fabric, duck canvas, or plain upholstery fabric? Also, should I use a tougher fabric on the backs that will rub against plywood seats? Thank you for all of your advice and feed back!

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Don't bother with the expense of Sunbrella-type fabric unless your cushions will be in direct sunlight a lot. A patterned, washable upholstery fabric works well and doesn't show dirt/pet hair as bad as a solid color. I use the same fabric for both top/bottom, so if one side gets dirty (we have two terriers, after all) the cushion gets flipped until laundry occurs.

When purchasing fabric, buy extra to allow for shrinkage, then pre-wash before cutting.

3. Blueamy

Blueamy New Member

Thanks for the feedback, Zephyr!

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Some just get the couch covers with the elastic from amazon. No sewing.

5. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I'm keenly interested in this, because I'd like to update the Starflyer's upholstery as well. An interesting wrinkle: the cushions have a front and back, and the back is vinyl. I can see the point of that—it's less likely to snag if the underlying benches aren't perfectly smooth—but you don't have the option of flipping a cushion if one side gets dirty. Plus, a same-kind replacement is more difficult. My mother in law could have done that kind of thing in her sleep (she could have probably sewed someone a whole new canvas given the specs), but she's been gone for 7 years now.

Some talk about having to step on the cushions to get into the bunk, but I figure: 1) anyone getting in bed has kicked off shoes/sandals; 2) it's not all that different than coming inside and getting in bed; 3) we're camping, and dirt happens.

Of course, point 3 means you need to focus on washable fabrics for your upholstery…

HappyTraveler likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Personally, I have made so many different sets of cushion covers that I got sick of replacing them and made our latest ones from marine vinyl. I've used pricey fabric, cheap fabric, outdoor fabric and put many, many coats of Scotchgard on all of them. Didn't matter, they always ended up stained.

I have read where lots of people use chair covers from Amazon and have that work out well. They would be super easy to take off and wash. But, like all the covers I've made, I feel like they would eventually get stained up too.

7. xRampagex

xRampagex Member

We cut the zippers out of the old fabric and bleached them and reused them. We ended up buying outdoor fabric and reupholstered all our cushions and curtains.

8. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

We just went down this rabbit hole. Found a nice fabric on clearance at hobby lobby. Bought a few yds. Then went back and bought the rest. Of course then we had to make curtains that would compliment the cushions. Got those done just in time for last weekend's trip. Now have to finish bunk curtains. Next is make a new dinette table ( we hate the one that came with it originally) new countertops, paint cabinets and walls and new flooring.