Review - Bumping Lake Campground

Discussion in 'Washington' started by DarthMuffin, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Bumping Lake
    State: WA
    Nearest City: Yakima or Naches
    GPS coordinates: 46.86111, -121.29944
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=58141&actid=29
    Run by: USFS
    Reservations accepted: Yes
    Number of sites: 45 (I could swear it was more than this, but that's what the site says. Maybe it's not counting the upper loop?)
    Water: Potable water faucets at regular intervals
    Facilities: Vault Toilets, boat ramp, swimming area, day use area
    Hookups: No

Bumping Lake is a mostly man made lake, created by daming up an existing smaller lake. On the Yakima side of Mt. Rainier, it is very remote and off the grid. I doubt there’s any electricity that’s not solar or generator within a 45 minute drive, and it was quiet and peaceful. Accessibility is easy, with paved roads the whole way. If you’re coming from the West side of WA, check conditions on the Hwy 410 pass first. I’m told the lake can be drawn down for irrigation use later in the summer, so keep that in mind. While the full lake was very pretty, mosquitoes were thick in the spring.

The campground itself is typical USFS. Sites are large, and privacy varies but is generally moderate. Most of the camp sites are in newer forest (smaller trees, like there was a clear-cut or forest fire 30-ish years ago). The upper loop is more recent and has a few sites with older growth trees, as well as a few that border the lake. The lower loop has group and handicap accessible sites, and is closer to the boat launch and swimming area. My recommendation is the upper loop if you’re there to camp, the lower loop if you’re there to fish, boat, and/or have a campfull of kids that will be swimming all day.

The campground takes reservations, but there are several other campgrounds to see on the way in, as well as many dry-camping opportunities along the river coming out of the lake. You should be able to find something without reservations.

2. huntero1975

huntero1975 New Member

bumping lake is also very cold water like crazy cold..my friends and dw that dont mind the cold water even said it was real cold.

And there is a ton of free river side camping on the drive to the park once off the main highway...

3. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I imagine the boondocking in that area is probably way better than the lake itself. We once stayed at this CG when we were tent camping. I got one of the sites in the upper loop that was as close to the lake as they had 'em. I walked over 200 feet straight toward the lake from my campsite through the trees, and still couldn't see lake through the forest.