Review - Killbear Harold's Point

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Tulip, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We just got back from 5 days/4 nights) (Sat-Wed) at Harold Point in Killbear.
    The site was electric with a well placed electrical pole (centre back), 2 picnic tables and a standard firepit which was ringed with large rocks.
    Our site was fairly large (not as big as our site at Lake of Two Rivers in Algonquin) but certainly adequate for us. We could have easily put up a small tent and still had room for 2 hammocks, our bikes and kayaks, plus the picnic table.

The site was relatively well shaded but did get some direct sun overhead. It had a fairly narrow driveway opening and was quite secluded about 3/4s of the way around. The open side faced the bathrooms. We parked the trailer to block that - and there was the equivalent of about a campsite sized space between our site and the bathrooms but it was open. It was fine while we were there as traffic was low (school wasn't out until today here). But if this were the busy season I suspect the traffic level would have been somewhat bothersome.
    (photos below show the site from the back looking towards the road, from the fire pit area and from road looking towards the back of the site.)
    The site was mostly sandy and we had some trouble with settling of the trailer (and our kitchen area prep table) over 4 nights, even with the stabilizers and extra bed supports on wood. We realized we should have larger pieces for this sort of situation.

Bathrooms were fine - clean and serviceable. Showers weren't huge but were fine for our needs. Lots of places to get water nearby.

We checked out sites at Lighthouse point and Granite Saddle and liked ours much better. We didn't make it through Beaver Dams or the other sites.

Harold's point is right next to the cliff jumping rocks which are also a great spot to watch both the sunset and the sunrise (we did both and they were so beautiful). The kids spent a lot of time jumping at the cliffs and even convinced my husband and I to give it a try (let me tell you Georgian Bay in June is NOT warm).
    There was a small beach at Harold's Point which was still partially under water but it was adequate - nice sandy shallow entry, protected so not too windy/wavy. The water was warming up in the shallow areas but still too cold for much swimming.

We hiked Lookout Point Trail- about 3.5 kms of moderately challenging hiking (definitely not stroller friendly). Quite boggy in spots but has some boardwalks. Beautiful view and there are interpretive guides available.
    We also hiked the much shorter Lighthouse Trail - it's about 1 km - also a bit challenging due to rocks in spots but I would rate it easy.
    We also visited the Visitor's centre which would have kept my kids entertained for about 30-60 minutes had they been younger - nice to know for families with younger kids if it is raining.
    The kids biked the trails and the rock cliffs areas. We only biked around the campground a bit. If we had stayed longer we would have planned a longer bike ride. The recreation trail runs beside the road - nice for getting to the various beaches but not a very interesting ride.

Given the sandy beaches there were plenty of easy places to launch the kayak. We launched from the Day Use beach which is very sheltered so it was a bit deceiving as to what the more open water was actually like.

We spotted some wildlife. A deer went through our campsite on the first night, and we saw at least one large snake (not a rattler) on one of our hikes. Bugs were hungry but were not as bad as we had feared. No blackflies - only mosquitos. The point with the jumping cliffs always had a nice breeze which kept the mosquitos at bay.

Drawbacks:
    1) both dog beaches are small and are currently mostly under water. We were hoping for a spot where the dog could hang out and there would be sand for my son whose hobby is building sand castles but that wasn't the case.
    We ended up hanging out at the edge of the Day use beach which is adjacent to the trail to the dog beach and just kept dog on the leash under our chairs. There was no one else on the beach that day so we were fine but this would have been a bigger issue for us if it was busy. Given the number of beaches at Killbear we suggested they designate a larger sandy beach as a dog beach. Leashed dogs are also allowed on the rocks so there were other options for us as well.

2) No camp store. I had read this but was still surprised. We could get firewood at the main check in office but no ice, groceries or treats. Given the size of the campground and that it is one of the destination campgrounds in the province this surprised me. There is a private store outside the campground to get some supplies (my husband and daughter went for ice) and Parry Sound is about 30 minutes away from the campground entrance.

Overall we'd rate it as one of our favourites - in part because the campsites are close to the water, the beaches are sandy and shallow, and the kids loved jumping off the cliffs. There were enough hiking spots for a 4 day stay.
    20190623_204747_HDR_2_resized.jpg IMG_20190623_230453_374_resized.jpg IMG_20190623_225844_118_resized_1.jpg IMG_20190623_225844_096_resized_1.jpg IMG_20190625_141106_672_resized.jpg 20190626_085317_2_resized.jpg 20190626_085344_2_resized.jpg 20190626_085420_2_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    neighbormike likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Nice looking site, sounds / looks like everyone is enjoying the camping. thanks for sharing

Tulip likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never been to Killbear.. How is the road leading to the park? Friends snapped the tounge off their pup going into the park a few years ago..

4. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

It wasn't bad. There is one large speed bump that was a concern but it was marked. We just took it slow and we were fine.

Snow likes this.