Reviews of Ocean City, MD area campgrounds

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by SamWalkerOBX, May 7, 2013.

1. SamWalkerOBX

SamWalkerOBX New Member

Looking for any reviews, tips, etc. of the campgrounds around the O.C. area. We'll be there the last weekend of June for a lacrosse tournament in Berlin.

2. electrician549

electrician549 Member

If you wanted to stay in a State Park I would recommend Pocomoke. There are two sections, we stayed near the one with the camp store and swimming pool and about a half hour south of Assateaque Island. There was plenty of shade and most site in our loop had electric and the campground never seemed full even over the weekend.

3. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Castaways is great, newer facility, Frontier town also nice, ( both commercial with lots to do, ). State park and federal parks aren't sprayed and can be buggy, your choice for comfort and price . All within 15 minutes of Berlin.

Enjoy!!!!!

4. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Better pick one and reserve soon! They go real fast that time of year, plus 4th of July is that following week.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Stayed at Castaways twice and would love to go there again! Agree that you need to make a decision since things book up fast!!

Also the bath houses have A/C!! When you get out of the shower you can actually dry off!!!

6. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

Friends have stayed at Frontiertown and have liked it. We stay at Assateague State Park over, but always over Memorial Day. Not sure how the bugs are later in the season.

7. Night Owl

Night Owl New Member

Assateague with the wild horses..and beachfront dune camping is pretty cool...the National Park is nice...no hookups just very nice. Misquitos are bad depending on time of year and directrion of the wind I hear...but the rest is gorgeous.

8. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Assateague island is nice if you can get a spot but they have both a national and a state park and if your lucky you will see the wild ponies. Frontiertown campground is really nice if you have kids because they have the water park. On the other end of Ocean city on the Delaware side is treasure beach campground and also nice from what I remember. Go to reserveamerica.com to get info on the parks. Also, on your way up to OCMD or the way back home check out Cherrystone camping grounds in VA which is just on the other side of Assateague accross the water.

9. piscoot

piscoot Member

Assateague State Park! Hot water, nice showers and sites are paved and level.
    The national park I personally stays away from, no hot water and usually buggy.
    We are here now 5 days into our 8 day stay. Like the others commented it might be tough to get a reservation the time you need to stay. We make ours 8 months in advance!!
    One thing I will mention, when thunder storms coming rolling through you need to be prepared. I always mention to friends Assateague is not for the first time camper!

10. MD Saga

The ponies were everywhere last year at Assateague, at least around our loop in the State Park. From what I understand the National Seashore park bathrooms have non-flush toilets and the bugs are much worse.

We'll be there starting friday.

11. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I don't think you will get a spot at Assateague State Park. We went last year and had to make a reservation a year in advance. The National Seashore I believe you need to make reservations about 6 months in advance. Frontier Town was just over the bridge from Assateague and looked like a blast with the water park. If DH ever allows me to go back we will stay there.

12. MD Saga

Had a great, if not windy and tad bit cold, weekend at Assateague State Park. The ponies were few and far between this year. They Nature Center is closed. The razed the old one and the new one is built, but not yet completed.

Found out that next year, the park will be doing many renovations over the winter. Looks like we won't have our normal loop available and will be down the beach in the I-loop. There is a chance that they might finish early, but not counting on it. From the park's web-site:

2013 / 2014 Bathhouse Renovations:

The following loops will be closed during the 2013 and 2014 camping season for Phase I of renovations of Assateague bathhouses:
    September 3, 2013 to July 6, 2014: Loops A, B, C, D closed
    October 1, 2013 to July 6, 2014: Loops E, F closed

Phase II is expected to begin in September of 2014 through May 2015 for bathhouses in Loops G, H, I, J.

13. piscoot

piscoot Member

Thank you for posting the renovations! I usually book in August, we have been staying loop D forever and will miss it next year. But, look forward to the bathhouses.

Yes the horses were far and between, we did find them on the national side on our walk. :)

14. jomassino

jomassino New Member

We saw more horses two weeks ago than we did last year. My son, daughter-in-law and I were sitting quietly at the fire at about 1:00 in the morning when a horse came out of nowhere FLYING down the loop road. She was followed a few seconds later by another one. It looked to us as though they were running just for the fun of it. It was really something to see and a little scary. My son said they were probably going about 30 mph. Beautiful!

15. hoax22

hoax22 New Member

We have stayed at Ft. Walley, Frontier Town, and Castaways. Castaways is by far the best of the 3 clean bath houses a Tiki bar for the adults. and h2o stuff for the kiddies to do. and super clean bath houses. Our group is a bunch of drunks and we can get a little loud but have never had any thing more than a security guard come by and remind us that its quiet time and we settle so they will let you party as long as your not crazy about it. Frontier town was ok a little dingy in the bath house unless they have updated in the last 5 years. Ft. walley is ok ive seen other posters mention about floods thankfully never had that issue but a campground we have used in a pinch.

16. jeepdiva

jeepdiva New Member

Just wanted to give an update on Castaways RV OC. We stayed there for the first time this past weekend for OC Jeep Week and loved it! Will definitely be going back, actually made reservations to take the kids back over Halloween and we got to pick our site. Lots of great events for kids of all ages, pet friendly and the staff was awesome! I wish the weather would have been nicer to have hit the beach our last morning, who would have thought we'd have needed jeans and sweatshirts in August!!!!

Free wifi was a great perk, the coffee shop was cheaper then Dunkin Donuts and the lattes were amazing, the events they had planned for kids and adults all day long looked really cool. We were on our own with no kids and busy with other things we had going on so missed out on some of it, but did get to take part in the drink specials at the Tiki Bar!

I have to say this was by far one of the cleanest campgrounds I think I have ever seen! I'm definitely looking forward to going back!