Ridged support between axle and frame

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by adrianpglover, Aug 7, 2015.

1. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Just thinking of ways to further take out some of the bounce when set up. Obviously it would be too much work for shorter trips, but if you're set up for week or more and have leaf spring suspension, wouldn't some kind of ridged support between the axle and frame help to remove a little more of the trailer bounce when set up?

I'm thinking along the lines of two scissor jacks placed right above the axle, assuming the frame was sturdy enough right above it. Obviously don't over tighten it or something will bend.

And once again, no, I'm not actually going to do this. Just a question from an idle mind.

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

vertical bounce? with stabs set? [?:~{]

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Once I level and put the 4 stabilizers down with sand pads under each one, I have no bounce and my Rockwood has leaf springs.

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Sorry, but you're not doing something right. Once leveled and set firmly on the stabilizers at all 4 corners you shouldn't have any give or bounce in the camper.

We've had ours out several times for 5-7 days with no problems at all.

/JT

5. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I don't know the OP's pup, but mine only has stabilizers in the rear, and no place to install them on the front (8 foot box). The front just sits on the tongue jack, which certainly isn't the most stable thing ever.

I use the Valterra stabilizer on the front of the camper frame. It has solved the wiggle issue, especially when moving around on the front bed.

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I have still yet to try and place blocks under my stabilizers when they're deployed. I do give them a 1/4 turn past contact with the ground, which is a bit more than recommended by Somerset. The idea behind using blocks is that my stabilizers have to travel about 18-20" to touch the ground on a level pad. The thought is that the stabilizers allow for more wiggle when dropped so low.

My reason for asking about support between the axle and frame is unless you go against all the mfg recommendations and use your stabilizers to lift the camper, then the axle and therefore springs are taking the majority of the weight still, even when the bounce of a footfall is felt.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I would set them so any additional weight added to the PU is supported by the stabs, ie the axle and tongue jack support the PU, the stabs support the people, give em another turn.

8. LongHammer

LongHammer Member

This is really pretty smart! You have 2 forces at work on your pup a shear load that is you moving around in the pup causing it to rock back and forth. The fix is well chocked wheels and tongue jack.Then a compressive load the weight of the occupants and the trailer. Lowering the stabs supports that weight. If you lift to much weight from the wheels the Jack's have no shear strength and wobble. To light on the stabs no compressive strength and you get bounce. A 2800 pound pup with 250 pounds on all 4 Jack's leaves 1800 in the chocks. Trailer should be stabile in both directions. In rough or soft terrain don't be afraid to tighten a stab or 2 as they wear in.