Ridgway State Park, 2013

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by CamL48, Jul 7, 2013.

1. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Ridgway State Park is located on the western side of Colorado, just south of Montrose and north of Ridgway and Ouray.

The campground has electricity, flush toilets, showers, clothes washer/dryers, fresh water, and some sites have water/sewer. There's a reservoir for motorized boating, fishing, swim beach, etc.

There are several campgrounds located in the park, but we stayed at Elk Ridge, Loop D. This was furthest from the reservoir and had the most tree coverage. Site-by-site photos can be seen at campgroundphotos.com. The photos were pretty true to reality. Trees were more like very large shrubs, but still provided some decent shade and privacy.

We were in site 97, which had great proximity to flush toilets and a scenic overview. Though we were probably the furthest from the marina, we were only about 3-5 minute drive to the swim beach.

Definitely a 4-star campground. Would have liked just a little more tree cover. Also, our neighbors left in the morning, but closed their dog up in their PUP. So, for an hour, it howled and howled ... then, it only howled when someone would walk by.

I'd definitely recommend the campground. It was pretty quiet and had great amenities.

Ouray is a very cool little town just south. Great old buildings and shops. Spent most of our time at the Hot Springs, though.

PICS
    [​IMG]

Scenic view about 50 yards from our site:
    [​IMG]

Great swim beach:
    [​IMG]
    No that's not my wife in the background of the above pic!
    [​IMG]

Ouray Hot Springs:
    [​IMG]

2. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

We too had a great 4th of July week here at Ridgeway State Park.

I'll add to Cam48's review - The mountain bike trails in the Dutch Charlie campground were great fun. We also rode the trail from Dutch Charlie to Pa-Co-Chu-Puk campground and had amazing views of the lake and Mt. Sneffels. All trails have road base or crushed rock which made them super nice for running and biking.

We were in D loop which had electricity, what a treat, and did not like the lower loops. Although closer to the lake, the highway noise and lack of trees made these loops unattractive. We found ourselves at the observation deck on the end of Loop D most evenings for sunsets and beverages meeting with other campers.

The swim beach was great a nice refreshing way to stay cool in the heat of July. Showers were a great treat too but busy, go early!

Happy Camping!

3. AndrewMH

AndrewMH New Member

We live close to Ridgway here in Grand Junction and have yet to go camping there. Now that we have our PUP thats a spot were going to have to check out, thanks

4. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice park with beautiful views. Would recommend.

5. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Been going there since the park opened. You can't beat the 4wd roads and scenic highway drives. Every year they caution campers about the bears. I have yet to see one or hear of one bothering campers. The campers for the most part keep clean campsites. The rangers generally have more trouble with late nite party campers. I usually camp at Ridgway around the first of August. By then the higher 4wd roads are clear of snow. Although I did get caught going over Black Bear after a fresh snow once in August. The park as great amenities for all. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

6. gjamamama

gjamamama Member

We had never heard about this SP. It didn't disappoint! Great facilities. Great staff. Great location. Check out our YouTube video CG review if you want more details!

7. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We stayed in the Elk Ridge Loop on top the ridge. Ridgeway is a very nice state park. We'd stay there again.

My only gripe about all CO state park campgrounds is that you have to pay additional for the showers. Keep those quarters handy!